Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
bittermelon to lower Glucose
anginette posted:
I am a 51 year old female with type 2 diabetes and menopausing i took bitter melon extract in place of my metformin.. I have been taking the bitter melon extracts for about 2 weeks. last night i had cramps. i felt as if i was on my period. I found blood and have been bleeding for 1 day, Not heavy bleeding (pinkred) I went on line and read that this fruit can start your menustration. Why am i bleeding and can i start a period after menopausing for 3 years?

mhall6252 responded:
I suggest you stop taking bitter melon and go back to the med your doctor prescribed, and see if that solves the problem. And you shoul also visit your gynecologist for a pelvic exam to be sure nothing else is going on.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

davedsel57 responded:
There were multiple copies of this post and the one I replied to got deleted, unfortunately. I completely agree with Michelle. It is never wise to discontinue a prescription medication without talking to your doctor first. If I were you, I would stop the bitter melon and get back on the metformin immediately, and then call your doctor.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

anginette replied to mhall6252's response:
Thanks, very much Michelle for your comment. I am at my at the OBGyn office now. Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Anginette

rajuraja responded:
I came across this link on one of the other Diabetes sites, please have a look :-

http://www.punjabnn.com/2010/07/08/top-csir-scientist-dies-after-drinking-lauki-karela-juice/

I do enjoy bitter melon but as a vegetable and eat it once in a while and don't believe that it can cure diabetes or replace diabetes medication.

anginette replied to rajuraja's response:
Thank you for the link. I found it very informative.

anginette replied to rajuraja's response:
That article was an eye opener. I would have never thought that vegetables or fruit could be harmful for you. Some cultures live by they're beliefs of fruits and vegetables having healing powers. That article has proven to me that there is a lot of information out there. , However there is one advice that i will use from this iridiologist. He said that you get high sugars from putting to much carbs in side of you and not eating in moderation. If I/we eat with portion control and learn how to eat the right foods we/I can control this killer disease .........

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.