Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes Diagnosis
An_249383 posted:
I have a 14.5 ACL and 336 Blood Glucose level. Are they high? Just found out I was a type 2 diabetic. Trying to bring it down now. Is honey good to use? What about corn products like Corn Chex? When will numbness in feet subside and get better?

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

Those numbers are dangerously high. What medication did your doctor start you on?

WebMD has an excellent Diabetes Health Center here: http://diabetes.webmd.com/default.htm
Reading through this should give you a much better idea of Type 2 Diabetes.

You should get a referral (if required by your health insurance) and make an appointment with either a Certified Diabetes Educator, Dietician, or Nutritionist. Most folks with Type 2 Diabetes adopt a new lifestyle involving exercise plus a healthy diet consisting of lean protein, veggies, lean dairy products and is low in starches. Corn Chex and honey are among the worst things you can eat right now.

Keep doing your research. Keep asking your doctor questions and making sure he/she is working with you to manage your Type 2 Diabetes. Keep as active as possible. Keep a positive attitude.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

flutetooter responded:
Some doctors send their patients to the emergency room with those numbers. Yes, they are very high. What did your doctor say? How did you find out that you had diabetes--an emergency that sent you to the hospital for something else? A regular checkup? What symptoms presented? You are also doing major damage to your heart, your brain, your kidneys, your liver, your digestive tract and risk amputations at that number. You feet are numb because your nerves to them are damaged and probably your blood supply also.

While waiting for your doctor's instructions, immediately cut way back on breads, cereals, sweet, NO honey, liquor, starchy vegetables like corn, peas, and potatoes. do a lot of walking and drink lots of water. Let us know what your doctor says.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

RecoverDiabetic responded:
Update - three months later. After taking 2000 mg Metformin daily and modifying my diet - went cold turkey on Coca Cola and sugar in my tea and coffee - and cutting back on sugar - max 50 g per day or so - I have lowered my 336 blood glucose reading to 190 and falling. I had no idea how bad my diabetes was. Found out about it about one year ago and didn't take it seriously. Now I am. Shooting for below 150 with increased exercise since I am not allowed to run due to diabetes calluses on each of my big toes. They are clearing up well now. Getting below 200 is amazing for me now. Used to be a marathon runner and then stopped exercising. Now getting back into the groove. Don't drink Coca Cola - I was drinking 8-10 cans a day. Now I drink Coke Zero and don't even taste the difference. By summer, I am shooting for 126 and no longer a diabetic !!!!

RecoverDiabetic replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks Dave. March 1, 2013 Update - three months later. After taking 2000 mg Metformin daily and modifying my diet - went cold turkey on Coca Cola and sugar in my tea and coffee - and cutting back on sugar - max 50 g per day or so - I have lowered my 336 blood glucose reading to 190 and falling. I had no idea how bad my diabetes was. Found out about it about one year ago and didn't take it seriously. Now I am. Shooting for below 150 with increased exercise since I am not allowed to run due to diabetes calluses on each of my big toes. They are clearing up well now. Getting below 200 is amazing for me now. Used to be a marathon runner and then stopped exercising. Now getting back into the groove. Don't drink Coca Cola - I was drinking 8-10 cans a day. Now I drink Coke Zero and don't even taste the difference. By summer, I am shooting for 126 and no longer a diabetic !!!!

RecoverDiabetic replied to flutetooter's response:
Thank you for your reply. March 1, 2013 Update - three months later. After taking 2000 mg Metformin daily and modifying my diet - went cold turkey on Coca Cola and sugar in my tea and coffee - and cutting back on sugar - max 50 g per day or so - I have lowered my 336 blood glucose reading to 190 and falling. I had no idea how bad my diabetes was. Found out about it about one year ago and didn't take it seriously. Now I am. Shooting for below 150 with increased exercise since I am not allowed to run due to diabetes calluses on each of my big toes. Feet are still a little numb but not swollen as before.. They are clearing up well now. Getting below 200 is amazing for me now. Used to be a marathon runner and then stopped exercising. Now getting back into the groove. Don't drink Coca Cola - I was drinking 8-10 cans a day. Now I drink Coke Zero and don't even taste the difference. By summer, I am shooting for 126 and no longer a diabetic !!!!

betatoo replied to RecoverDiabetic's response:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but once a diabetic always a diabetic. At the same time you may be a diabetic in full control without the use of drugs. That is where many of us are here with the help of a healthy diet low in starches, and exercise. You might look up glycemic index and load and see what a piece of white bread does. You have done well to take so much control, keep up the good work. Above all, be vigilant, and good luck.

brunosbud replied to RecoverDiabetic's response:
I'm curious...Would you give a newborn a warm bottle of "Coke Zero"? If not, at what age does it become, "OK"?

anon615 replied to brunosbud's response:
RE a newborn and coke zero. Is this a joke? In case it isn't the answer is never. I don't know why you are drinking it.

Dolores

brunosbud replied to anon615's response:
No joke; I find "zero" funny about soda, diet or otherwise. Also, where does it say, I'm drinking it?

Anon_320 replied to anon615's response:
Dolores, I believe you're misunderstanding brunosbud's comment about Coke Zero, which is in response to RecoverDiabetic saying he/she drinks it.

anon615 replied to Anon_320's response:
Oh, sorry. I was just startled by the question and didn't look at who wrote it. My bad.

Dolores

brunosbud replied to Anon_320's response:
Thx, anon_320; very considerate of you.

rohvannyn replied to brunosbud's response:
Coke Zero might be bad for you, but if it helps someone break their addiction to something that is harming them even more then I just would congratulate them on taking better control of their diabetes. Maybe eventually they can move on to something better for them. Meantime, manageable steps is the way to go, so that those bits of progress can actually be maintained.

I congratulate the OP on making progress on controlling their diabetes, and hope they continue to improve.

brunosbud replied to rohvannyn's response:
Absolutely correct, Rohvannyn. At the end of the day, if you've made improvement in any aspect of your life, it was a good day. Thanks for making that point.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

tips to help me help a family member
does anyone have tips to bring down diabetes More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.