Skip to content
Meds changed, BG readings now very high
An_249384 posted:
My meds were recently changed and since that change my BG readings have been all over the place and I can't seem to get them back to 'normal'. For many years I was in pretty good control under my previous doctor, for Type 2 I was on Actos, Glucophage, Glyburide and 54 units of Lantus insulin daily. Earlier this year I had to move because of work and went through the process of finding a new doctor. She advised me my meds needed changing and she took me off Actos and Glyburide and increased my dosage of Glucophage and Lantus (now up to 80 units). Since the change my BG readings look like a roller coaster up and down, up and down and I am increasingly worried what effect this is having on my well being. Every time I go back (and I am going every two or three weeks) she tells me it is too early to get "aggressive" with the treatment and just ups my insulin amounts.

What can I say to her to try and get this under better control? My 14 day average is 163 and my 7 day average is 171, both of which are much much higher than I am used to seeing. Is it time to try another med that might have the same effect as the Actos/Glyburide combo had?? I am a 59 yo male, I have not changed anything else in my lifestyle since the meds were altered.

Thanks

mhall6252 responded:
You should definitely schedule an appointment to review how things are going and ask for some adjustments. Actos now has a black box warning advising people to use it for no more than a year because it can cause bladder cancer. So it's good that your doctor made a change. You just need to find the right combination.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.