Skip to content
Losing Weight on Glucophage
NikkiEud posted:
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 years ago. I was never obese I weighed the most 140 pounds and I am 5'4. I did not even know I had diabetes and how long I had it. I lost weight drastically and was diagnosed after I went for pre-medical clearance for surgery when I broke my wrist. I was immediately put on amaryl 2mg and glucophage 500mg. I was taken off the amaryl about 5 months ago b/c my glucose was dropping too low sometimes. My doctor advised that I continue taking the glucophage and increased my dosage to 1500mg. I have been losing so much weight and afraid that I am going to disappear. I am now 118 pounds. At one point maybe about a year ago my weight had stablized to 130 then all of a sudden I am losing weight again and I really think is the glucophage. On my next visit to my doctor I am going to tell him to take me off of the glucophage and give me something else SMH!! I need to gain weight. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations???

davedsel57 responded:
Hello and welcome.

Is your blood glucose now in control? Perhaps your doctor can reduce your dosage if it is. Glucophage, usually the generic form Metformin, is commonly perscribed for new Type 2 Diabetics and is usually very effective.

How is your diet? Do you eat enough calories each day? Are you following a diet low in starches and high in vegetables, lean proteins and lean dairy products? That is something else that could be a factor.

Definitely discuss all this with your doctor asap.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.