Skip to content
Newly Diagnosed
abbysmomma posted:
Its only been 2 days since I was diagnosed with Type 2. My sugar was 325, after fasting. I had 2 symptoms, blurred vision and weight loss. I also have a sympton thats not common, excessive sweating. I started with a new doctor, luckily. I'm not real surprised, my dad and others on his side are diabetic. I have a question about soda, I drink diet coke, I dont like surgery drinks. Are diet sodas ok? I know alot about being diabetic, my dad controlled his for 40+ years. He gave up the fight when he lost his legs. I do think its important for me to have conversations with others that have diabetes. I would welcome anyone to email me with whatever encouragement or advise you have. Thanx!

davedsel57 responded:
Hello and welcome.

Diet pop has come under close scrutiny lately by health care professionals. Most contain a high amount of sodium to compensate for lost flavor due to its being sugar-free. Many people with health concerns had minimized the amount of diet sodas they drink or even eliminated it completed. Richard Simmons posted a few years ago on his site that he did this and lost a few extra pounds quickly. My family and I only have diet soda (we call in 'pop' in Western New York) when we eat out, and not all the time. I prefer ice water and unsweetened iced tea.

If you like diet soda, you can try the packets of water flavorings made by Crush. They taste delicious, are sugar free, and even taste like they are carbonated. Most stores sell them in Orange, Grape and Strawberry flavors.

You may benefit by talking to your doctor and having him/her recommend a Certified Diabetes Educator, nutritionist or dietician to help you understand how diet affect Type 2 Diabetes. WebMD has an excellent Diabetes Health Center here: http://diabetes.webmd.com/default.htm

Keep doing your research and change your lifestyle so you will be able to control your Diabetes and not suffer the consequences your dad did.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

abbysmomma replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your advise. My Dr. has made an appt for me with The Diabetis Center for Jan. I've got lots of changes to make and will be making all of them. I dont want to lose any body parts! I will give Crush a try. My biggest vice is my French Vanilla creamer I use in my coffee, thats gonna cause some withdrawal! Since I was able to give up sugar in my coffee decades ago, I guess I will be able to adjust to this change as well. Even though I wasnt eating healthy for a while, I keep on shrinking. It seems like every morning when I wake up, I'm smaller. So far I've lost 40 pounds. I may get back to my normal weight when I start eating proper diabetec meals. My dad always said, "If you want to lose weight, eat a diabetic diet."

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.