Christmas Food!
betatoo posted:
So folks here it is getting ready for all of those Christmas Eve parties, Christmas dinners, and all of that food everywhere you look. Time to ask yourself what do I eat to keep my numbers in control. What is good for me, what is really bad, and what can I tolerate without losing track of my A1C numbers without adding extra meds.

What is really bad, the sugar in the cookie, or the flour. Is coffee with one spoonful of sugar acceptable if I only have one cup? Do I have the mashed potatoes with gravy, or opt for the 1/2 of the sweet potato with a little butter. Should I have the stuffing, or substitute the small whole grain roll? What adaptations will you make if any to keep on track with your diabetic lifestyle?

Take the Poll

This Christmas season I will:
  • Continue to eat healthy as always.
  • Eat what I want and worry about the consequences next year.
  • Continue to eat as always, meds take care of the diabetes.
  • No changes nor guilt for me, when is the next apocolypse?
  • Make a New Years resolution to become healthy next year.
vote
View Poll Results

Debsbears responded:
Hi Beta, no problems here with food. I eat to live so I will be eating only what I know for me is safe. No exceptions.

It also helps me not having relatives houses to go to. My friend Marilyn her husband Tom and I will be staying home so we will eat turkey.

Have a Blessed Christmas everyone.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

It is just a matter of making the right choices consistently. That word "consistently" is where I have problems, but I am endeavoring to eat healthy despite all the temptation around me. When you think about it, there is temptation all year round but it seems the holidays are so food-oriented. We all do need to try to be extra strong at this time of year.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

rocketbob replied to davedsel57's response:
I find that one good chunk of doorstop quality fruitcake will cure me of all the other tempting treats during the holidays.

betatoo replied to davedsel57's response:
Consistent, yes a good choice of words for the choices we have to make day to day. At the same time I would add another word-informed or well informed. All too often we make choices without being well informed. Recently I was reading an article on glycemic load and glycemic index. It pointed out that sugar even though equal to white flour on the glycemic index, was different in the glycemic load. Flour being much worse because of how much is used to cook with whereas much less of the sugar is used. Interesting perspective. Does that mean that I start sweetening my coffee, or tea or other things like my berries etc. Nope! It is just one more part of a larger puzzle.

For myself, I continue to cut the white starches and way back on the orange and brown ones. Cutting white means cutting sugar and sweeteners except for an occasional Stevia soda. This time of year is tougher, but once you get into a life style that works, don't let anything change it, even a season!

dteresa replied to betatoo's response:
I am going to my daughter's who will be having ham, meatballs and sausages and desserts. I always bring my own food for myself and another daughter and anyone who wants to try some. I will be bringing a big salad, made from scratch organic polenta with tomato sauce, a lentil loaf, fruit, a butter bean casserole and bean enchiladas. My daughter will bring a dip if white beans, artichoke hearts and spinach. We use vegetables or FinnCrisp fat free rye crackers with the dip.

Dolores