Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
After prednisone.
rocketbob posted:
It has been a couple of days now since I finished a course of prednisone as treatment for tendonitis. I can't say it was a pleasant experience. The second day my throat and jaw hurt so much I could barely swallow. That subsided in time for a stabbing pain to develope in my sholder that made it difficult to raise my arm for a couple of days. Now the fingers of my left hand hurt to move and there is little difference in my tendonitis. The only good thing I can say is my BG did not really go up which is what sometimes happens with a steroid. I am seeing my Doctor just after Christmas and I am not sure what to say about my low opinion of the prednsione. Any others out there with experience on this matter please fell free to comment. In the meanwhile a merry Christmas to one and all.

davedsel57 responded:
Hi, Rocketrob.

To be honest, I hate prednisone. I used to get asthmatic bronchitis every January and that was the only way I was able to breath. The first time I was on it I had so much energy I cleaned the whole house and cooked an elaborate dinner in only a few hours. My wife got scared and stayed in our bedroom.

One good thing prednisone did for me is to allow me to grow decent facial hair at age 43.

Prednisone increased my appetite a great deal. I was wired and went days without sleep while taking this drug. I had extra chronic pain and my joints swelled. It did help me breath, but the side affects were terrible for me.

I no longer get asthmatic bronchitis as I get a chiropractic adjustment every few weeks. No side affects from that except sometimes a little extra pain the next day.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

rocketbob replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks Dave for your reply.

I saw my Doc today and told him about my reaction to the prednisone to which he stated none of them could of been caused by the prednisone. He didn't suggest what may of caused them other than to allude to some viral infection. Don't really know what to think of this other than I can't afford a second opinion and I am reluctant to take a higher dose. Fortunately I won't be working on another set until Feb. so maybe by then my tendonitis will subside.

Debsbears replied to rocketbob's response:
When I had tendinitis in my ankle my Dr gave me an antibiotics and said to take a low dose Nsaid. She never gave me the Prednisone. It took about 2 weeks to calm down.

The 2 reactions I get from Prednisone is 1) extra fluid retention - which I do not need I gain 8 to 10lbs a fluid a day as it is 2) my sugars go as high as 200 so I need to stay away from it as much as possible.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

NWSmom4g replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb, why were you given antibiotics for tendonitis? I've had tennis elbow several times, the first time for months; the real relief came from physical therapy. Never were given antibiotics; would probably have refused them anyhow!

Nancy

Debsbears replied to NWSmom4g's response:
Because my ankle was 3 times the size it was suppose to be, red and hot to the touch. The MRI showed severe tendonitis thoughout. At first they thought blood clot that was ruled out at the ER - so they did emergency MRI.

The antibiotic calmed it down within 4 days - but had to stay on it for 10 days.

Debsbears replied to Debsbears's response:
Forgot to mention it did take about 2 weeks to fully heal. That was with adding the Nsaids to it as well for the pain due to inflammation.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

normal reading
My Dr. said I have diabetes my a1c level is 6.5 and wants me to take Metformin 500mg. I took my bs test and it was 103 after I ate. I have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.