Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
diet and allowed foods
page23 posted:
I have been diagnosed as prediabetic. I understand what that is and need help with food choices. I do not tolerate fried foods, am completely lactose intolerant and am fighting to keep my cholesterol in check. So far, in my research, I can drink water, eat lettuce and breathe air. As to foods, I have no clue. Any good sources that can help with menu planning, a chart that explains what (if anything I can eat besides lettuce), especially with the inability to do dairy in any form and an iffy gallbladder that cannot handle fatty foods. I need help... Sherry the Confused

dianer01 responded:
Welcome!

There are lots of things you can eat, and it sounds like your current dietary restrictions could only benefit you.

Of course you want to eat lots of non starchy veggies, including all kinds of greens, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, squash, tomatoes and some fruit. Many do well with berries, mellon and apples. You will have to test to find out what works and doesn't work for you. Lean protein such as white meat chicken or turkey and fish are good choices.

Be aware of things like 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice and small potatoes. These are foods you want to limit and again understand how they affect your blood glucose.

Things to avoid, chips, crackers, cookies,white bread, candy, sugared soda and sweet tea.

This list is by no means exhaustive but may give you some ideas to get started.

Please ask for a referral to a diabetes educator and if you don't already have one, ask if your insurance will provide a glucose meter, if not they will help you learn what is a good choice for your by being able to test your fasting blood glucose and 2 hours after meals.

You may also want to go to the library to see what books are available. Do check the publish date as they can become out dated very quickly.

my best

di
accelerate out of the corners

betatoo replied to dianer01's response:
Everything Diane has said is right on, but I could add a few helps. My Dr. told me to drop all white starches-DON'T eat them. Cut back on brown and orange starches. Cut sugar added. Look up glycemic index and load. This will help you select foods that are proper for your condition. It is a learning curve for a while, but once you get used to it you will find that it can become easy and almost automatic. Of course if you are a heavy carb loader, you may have some trouble-think poison when you see those sweets in the bakery case!

page23 replied to dianer01's response:
Thank you so much!! My family is Eastern European, everything revolves around heavy, whole grained, chewey breads and white potatoes in a meal. I pretty much control that for weight reasons but it will be a big adjustment to completely avoid them. Lean meats have always been favored but all my winter stew recipes are based on root vegetables (rutabagas, parsnips, turnips, etc., which are now too starchy for my new diet). I will hate to see those go as I enjoy the whole cooking process, as well as eating the results. Using those veg in soups has to go now, too. My vegetable soup is doomed!!

Have been to the library and there are so many currently dated books that I am now on a bit of overload and am looking for something that simplifies. Weighing and measuring my foods is such an extreme. I have never weighed or measured anything in my cooking, ever. I learned from two grandmothers who used their hands, and senses to tell if a recipe was right.

I am working on this. Starting during the holidays is SO HARD. I have not broadcast this as the family does not need to worry (another specialty, besides root veg cooking).

I am a big tea drinker but do not add anything, so that is one less adjustment. Finding unsugared OJ is a problem and my cranberry juice is now off he menu, I did love that, too.

My doctor has not recommended a diabetes educator and I did not even think there was such a thing. That will be the biggest help in sorting out daily things to do. My doctor is just out of med school and I like her enthusiasm but I think we both have a lot to learn together.

Again, thank you so much.

Sherry, the less confused... LOL

page23 replied to betatoo's response:
You are so right about label reading. I tend to stick to organics whenever possible and have long avoided transfats. However, even organic canned products have added sugars (agave nectar, etc.) I am label reading like crazy although I do not buy much in the way of caned fruit or veg as I prefer the fresh. Fresh Frozen can be sneaky about added cane sugars -- a real surprise when I read that!!

My cousins are fabulous bakers, thank goodness that is not my talent. But, the holiday sweet tables have been torture to look at and then walk away. I felt like an alcoholic at the party passing by the open booze bottles. I know that will fade but right now it is a little rough (and I realize far less difficult than kicking a habit but it sure felt like it.)

It is a learning curve, as you said, and a permanent life change. Your support is so helpful and I thank you!!

Sherry, a little less confused

Wolka responded:
For dietary restrictions is it always best to consult with a dietician in the case of a diabetic best to get in to see a diabetic dietician who can work with you to find the right deal that will work for you and your restrictions.

I'm dairy, gluten and soy intolerant with a low tolerance to nuts, anything containing apple and citrus and poppy seeds i'm out right allergic to.

So for me it actually took a while working with a dietician to form a plan of attack that worked for me - so this may or may not be a good option for you, but its a possible option in general.

Eating a variety of fruits and veggies (trying for one from each colour of the rainbow in general) eating them as close to raw as possible without cooking away as much of the nutrients as possible, so to do this for the veggies its best to steam them that helps keep their nutrients where they should be, or a fast blanching in bowling water (put into a pot of boiling water count to 10 or 20 and pull out depending on the veggie).

Kick processed foods to the curb if at all possible or save for when they are necessary do to lack of time to cook - cutting down on your sodium intake can help a lot for many who are diabetic (1,500 mg a day max is target goal according to the CDA and 1,000 if you have heart issues or family history).

I can't say about cutting out potatoes or limiting rice or the like because I don't like potatoes to start with and for me rice is a staple of my deal (I use it in most of my cooking for myself without much issues in glucose control).

Luck!

page23 replied to Wolka's response:
Thank you. Your situation is so much more complex than mine.

I do need to get to a dietician who specializes in this field. Going through so much literature has been confusing -- a bit. There are so many 'experts' and so many diet plans that right now, I am unsure what to eat besides lean meat and some veggies. I have always preferred my veggies al dente so steaming or wok cooking are methods I often use.

Right now I am unsure about beans and other legumes as the literature seems to be split on whether or not they are good or bad starches. Root veggies also have a bad rap in some articles but not in others. I am definitely on brain overload being that this is all so new for me.

Colorful meals have always been important as I know this increases the vitamin and nutritional balances in the meal. Besides, all those colors make such an attractive meal that is interesting to eat in variety and texture.

I am glad to hear that you use rice as I love brown and wild rice and use them often with steamed or wok recipes to balance the nutritional values of the meal.

Thank you, once more, and luck to you!

auriga1 replied to page23's response:
There is such a thing as a diabetest educator. I have one who also happens to be a diabetic. I also have a registered dietician. I don't see either any longer, as I have things under control. They both can enlighten you somewhat.

Everyone is different in what they can or cannot eat. Diabetics need to count carbs. That's where the nutrition label comes in. Also, you should familiarize yourself with complex carbohydrates. Carbs are converted to glucose in your bloodstream. That's why they need to be watched carefully.

A dietician would recommend to you how many carbs you can eat per meal. Each of us is different depending on our blood sugar levels and A1C. Some can eat more than others. The reverse is also true.

You've gotten good advice here from others. See if you can invest in a glucose meter to test. Has your doctor recommended you test? There are some meters and strips which are over the counter. You'd have to look online to see what the best price would be. Many popular meters can be found for free if you watch for promotions and coupons. Check out WalMart or one of the larger pharmacies first. You'll see names like OneTouch, Bayer, FreeStyle, FreeStyle Lite. These meters require prescriptions for the strips.

Be very careful in your carbohydrate consumption. All of our foods have carbs except for your proteins and fats.

page23 replied to auriga1's response:
Thank you!!

I have been focusing on label reading, controlling carbs and reading/research.

My insurance will not cover a diabetic educator or nutritionist who specializes in blood sugar management. Seems stupid to me that they would rather pay to treat the disease than pay to help prevent it. Since being prediabetic is not diabetic, yet, no benefits are due. Being out of pocket, I have to have all my questions lined up and take good notes so I can limit my visits to essential items. Being on a fixed income, these consultations in my area are pretty steep. There are several hospitals in the area and I will get recommendations as to professionals in the nutritional management of my situation.

My doctor feels that I am in a bit of a panic and should relax and see what develops with a few dietary changes. I do not think so, I am a proactive person and like to head things off before they get really serious.

Getting the meter is not the problem as so many are available if you have a prescription or insurance coverage for the strips. Without that coverage there is a problem.

I am working on working the system. More reading and more research, too.

Came across a magazine called "Diabetic Maintenance". Any opinions on that publication as being worth the subscription. No, my local library does not carry it. If it is worth it, maybe an online subscription is less than a print one.

I have a lot more to do. Daily diet is definitely the one of the biggest things to work on now. Since I have cut back so suddenly and so stringently, I find myself fighting carb cravings. They will get weaker as I go on but it is a daily fight right now as ethnic heritage made them a big component in meals.

Thanks, again.

Debsbears replied to page23's response:
Page I subscribed to that magazine online because of the cost of printed material, yes it is worth your money.

Can't you go to a Walmart or Target and just purchase your test meter and strips, you do not need a script if your purchase it for yourself? They have store brands that work well and are not that expensive.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

betatoo replied to page23's response:
Aren't baked goods sadistically bad! I have trained myself to see little skull & crossbones on those delectable items that want to sabotage my life style. Lately, I don't even seem to see them, even though my wife has baked a pile of Christmas cookies and other goodies for folks that visit. Maybe to it is that they are wrapped in tin foil when not out. At any rate, find a way to ignore them, best for your health.

I usually do not buy magazines that are heavy with adds for medications, insulin, pills or otherwise. My theory is that their so called "diabetic safe" meals will eventually nail me to a diabetic medication. Most of my information, recipes, etc. comes from good dietary resources, and a variety of them. It seems that everyone has a take on what is wrong with our eating today. Look at what happened with the low fat diets! Today we find that those on low fat were eating more carbs and increasing their triglycerides, and putting on the pounds. Myself, I find that low sugars, limited carbs, lean protein, lots of veggies, some fruit works fine. heck I even have a small piece of dark chocolate everyday!

davedsel57 replied to betatoo's response:
Betatoo, if the WebMD Communities had a Facebook-like "like" button I would push it for your post. I heartily agree with every word you wrote.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

page23 replied to Debsbears's response:
I thought I need a script for those. Will try your suggestion. Will also get the magazine on line.

Thank you!

page23 replied to betatoo's response:
IF I CAN HAVE A SMALL PIECE OF DARK CHOCOLATE EVERY DAY, I AM GOING TO HIRE YOU AS MY DIETICIAN!!!!

You really give me some hope for alight at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

page23 replied to davedsel57's response:
I do agree with Betatoo that most mags are just ad rags published and paid for my special interests -- in this case Big Pharm Co.'s making buckets of money off diabetic drugs. That is why I am so angry that my insurance company will not cover preventative care only limited coverage once you have the real deal. DUMB HEADS!!!

I really want to prevent the onset of true diabetes with diet and live style changes. Took a pass on 90% of the Holiday baked goods even though many in my family are fabulous bakers. I would look at the baked goods and see a need and vial of insulin sitting on top of the item. That image kept me away from most of them. Had to have some small tastes of Nana's items but kept the portions to just a few small nibbles and kept moving, doing more talking to friends and family than eating. That helped along with taking a small plate instead of a dinner plate.

A few steps forward and a step back, but mostly forward. For a beginner making her first big changes at the start of the Holiday Feasting Season, I have not done too badly.

Thank You and Blessings back to you and yours!!

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.