Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Am I diabetic? From only one blood sugar test? HELPP :)
xblndeeoor posted:
December 26, 2012 11:50 p.m.
I just lost around 45 pounds & all the while when I was heavy I always checked my blood sugar. It has always been normal .90-110. I just checked again in the end of November & it was perfect. I took a blood reading a couple days ago & it was a little over 200. Does that automatically mean I am diabetic? Or can that happen sometimes to people when they over indulge. I had some Christmas cooking & cake eggnog. I work out 4-6 times a week & hardly ever have any junk food. Any help with this please let me know. Like I said I check it all the time & its fine this was the first time it was high & I'm freaking out.

anginette responded:
comment to your post "From only one blood sugar test" Am I diabetic? MY Suggestion is to see your doctor. 90-100 is not normal for an average person,however they can test your AI-C level and give you a fasting blood sugar test to be absolustely sure

Phototaker123 responded:
You cannot tell from one testing. It might be a bad test strip, or you had some food on your finger. Are you talking about a blood test at the labs, or just your test strip? Did you wait two hours after you ate for the reading? It's possible with your weight loss, exercising , and eating healthier that you've been able to manage your diabetes(if you were diagnosed to have it by the doctor). By eating the sweets and other things, it might have shot up your blood sugars. If I eat very sensibly and exercise, I don't get high numbers. For me, if I go off the stricter way of eating,my numbers go high. That's why I had to start the Metformin. I suggest you keep as strict as you can, as I was told by one of the nurses on here that diabetes is progressive. I balked at this, but now find my numbers have gone up, and I'm now on medicine. I "believe" if I had stayed very strict like I started doing for the first years, I "may" have held off taking medicine. Who knows for sure. I eat out a lot, but mostly get meat/fish, veggies, and salad. I was having a slice of bread with the meal at times. Just monitor your blood sugars for a week, a few times a day, and see what's going on, Then, get an A1C to see the whole picture. That tells you how you've been doing for a few months. Good luck!

auriga1 responded:
An average for a non-diabetic would be 85. Your numbers are a little higher which may indicate pre-diabetes.

Anginette is right. You should go for an A1C test. The A1C is an average of blood sugar readings for the past three months.

Another good indicator is your blood test result two hours after you eat. Test two hours after your first bite of food. If you are non-diabetic, that number should have returned to normal, around 85. That is a non-diabetic number.

When in school, during lab, we had to test each other with the blood glucose monitor. The average for 18 women was 82. This was at a random time of the day, a little over two hours after some of them had eaten breakfast.

A 200 reading at any time is certainly not good. I would talk with your doctor. Even if one overindulges, a non-diabetic's numbers would return to normal by two hours later. I did that test on my husband after he over-indulged on carbs at a meal. One test 45 minutes after eating read 156. Two hours later it was 82. Everyone's blood sugar rises after eating carbs, but a non-diabetic will return to normal two hours later.

May have been a bad strip or something on your finger. Many possibilities.

I would journal what I eat and then take a post-prandial reading (two hours after your meal.) If it doesn't return to normal (in the 80's) I would consider talking with your doctor.

Debsbears responded:
I guess I am trying to figure out why you are testing in the first place? You say you test all the time why? and When?

Another indicator would be 2 random morning fasting tests if they are above 126 before eating breakfast - you would need to see your Dr.

200 is not good - like the others said could be a bad test strip or too much of the wrong foods. Have your Dr. run the A1c to see where you are at.

As a diabetic my Dr. wants my A1c below 6. At the present time I'm 5.1%
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

xblndeeoor replied to Debsbears's response:
I test all the time because, my father was diabetic. So when I visit my grandmother who is also diabetic & my inlaws I test. But, I didn't wait until 2 hours after eating either. My dr, has tested me a few times fasting for 12 hours & I have never been over 126. Thanks for yor help.

xblndeeoor replied to Phototaker123's response:

It was from a test strip & I didn't wait 2 hours after eating. I think it might have been 15 minutes. Thanks for your help. It is very much appreciated. I didn't think I would get any responses. I made an appointment to see the Dr. this next week.

316316316 responded:
I had too the same questionarrie as my test show the same thing

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.