Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes
Kmreedy posted:
I need some help, please. My father in law has diabetes, not sure which type, but for a month now his left side of face is so swollen that the eye is completely shut. Can't open it at all. Went to ER put him on a steroid and that's it. Now he is shaky and now they say bronchitis. Still no explanation for swollen face. Did cat scan and it showed nothing. He is not feeling any better. I don't know if it is related to diabetes or what. I'm almost sure it is. If anybody has any information with this please let me know. Thanks

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I am sorry to read of all your father-in-law is going through.

Has he or one of the family contacted his primary doctor regarding these issues? If you have what is his/her opinion? If he has no primary doctor or his primary doctor is not available, I would think about taking him back to the emergency room or an urgent care facility. No way for any of us to know for sure if this is diabetes related or not, but it does sound like that is a factor. Whatever is causing these problems, he needs further medical attention asap.

I pray your FIL can get the treatment and relief he needs soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

NWSmom4g responded:
I had a somewhat similar problem a few years ago; first went to my PCP, who sent me to an ENT. After xrays, he couldn't diagnose the problem. Finally, after nearly three months, I went to my dentist for a routine checkup: it was a dental abcess!

Maybe your FIL would benefit from a visit to a dentist...MDs don't know beans about teeth and dental problems!

Nancy

fcl responded:
That happened to me once and it was an infection in a saliva gland. OTOH, it was so painful that nobody could touch it. I'm surprised they can't find the cause ... Hope something turns up soon.

What other exams have they done?

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.