Skip to content
Hw to take Metformin
colesmom63 posted:
Hi all:
My doctor has just put me on Metformin as of today. I am to take 500mg after dinner to start. My question is I cannot remember how she said to take it. Do I take right after I eat, while I'm eating or 2 hours after I eat. I have a cold and my brain is a little foggy....lol Thank you

mhall6252 responded:
Just take it when you have some food in your stomach as it can cause GI distress when you first start taking it. Having some food in your tummy helps to reduce the distress. I take mine with or without food and it doesn't matter because I've been on it for so long. It never bothers me. So I do not recommend the 2 hours after eating option.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

colesmom63 replied to mhall6252's response:
Thank you Michelle. The Dr just called in a rx for me (I had some samples), and she changed it 500mg twice a day once in the am and once in the pm. I just saw this post, but asked the pharmacist and she said to take it with food.

dteresa replied to colesmom63's response:
It is my understanding that the therapeutic dose for metformin is at least 1500mgs and possibly more but that a doc will prescribe a lower dose such as the one you were prescribed to see if you can tolerate it without gastrointestinal problems. Anyone else know if this is correct?

Dolores

davedsel57 replied to dteresa's response:
Hello Dolores,

I searched for 'minimum therapeutic dose for metformin' and got several hits. Good information is here: http://www.druglib.com/druginfo/metformin/indications_dosage/

As per the information in druglib.com:

"There is no fixed dosage regimen for the management of hyperglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes with metformin or any other pharmacologic agent. Dosage of metformin must be individualized on the basis of both effectiveness and tolerance, while not exceeding the maximum recommended daily doses. The maximum recommended daily dose of metformin is 2550 mg in adults and 2000 mg in pediatric patients (10-16 years of age)."
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

colesmom63 replied to dteresa's response:
So Dolores if I understand you correctly I am not taking an amount that will help with my diabetes? I am taking 500mg twice a day which comes to 1000mg a day. Is that not enough? So far I am tolerating the Metformin just fine, no problems at all. No gastrointestinal problems, just had a headache, but I have been a headache sufferer for many years.

davedsel57 replied to colesmom63's response:
colesmom63,

Read the article I linked to in my reply to Dolores. You are taking enough Metformin if your blood glucose readings are in control. There is no minimum therapeutic dosage for this medication, but there is a maximum as per the article.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

colesmom63 replied to davedsel57's response:
Thank you Dave, I read the article but just was making sure I didn't misunderstand what Dolores said.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.