Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sleepyhead?
fcl posted:
Allow me to wish you all health, wealth and happiness for the New Year

I have a question about sleep. I have read that diabetes can cause fatigue but how about excessive sleeping? My mother is staying with me at the moment. She is 80 and has type 2 diabetes. I always thought that you slept less as you got older but she is sleeping for 12-14 hours a night... Could this be a diabetes effect or something else (I think it's probably more to do with her thyroid but I wanted to check with you guys first)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Happy new year!

Debsbears responded:
FCL there are many reasons for someone to be sleeping that long.

Some examples: diabetes, anemia, thyroid, meds etc. There is no way we can diagnose your mom.

Your only action should be call her doctor and make an appt. and have her seen.

I have a 92 yr friend I adopted as my grandmother and she sleeps only 6 hrs at night but take 3 2hr naps during the day. She has thyroid issues and anemia.

So please just to make sure your mother is okay have her checked out.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

fcl replied to Debsbears's response:
That's the whole problem - she won't go to see the doctor. The first thing I would do if she would let me is take her to see her doc. When I suggested it the other day she got VERY angry and said her doc takes perfect care of her and yet she never sees her/him (except for a blood draw every sex months for her AI-C level...).

She had diabetes, thyroid problems, high blood pressure ... She was put on thyroid meds 3 years ago and the dosage has never been adjusted to her needs (she was given them because she kept falling asleep).

She has no idea what kind of meds she's taking (if I tell her she's on Prozac she will throw a fit). I could go on forever about this but I won't because I know that, like it or not, there isn't any way I can change her. I suppose I was looking for a way to shake her ideas up so that she would do something about her health.

Yes, I worry and yes, I know that there is nothing I can do.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post, Debsbears.

Debsbears replied to fcl's response:
If she won't go in can you call her doctor on her behalf and explain the situation. Does she know when her next blood test is? If not perhaps you can talk to the doctor and have her go in for some blood work and try to get everything tested.

I'm only 56 and when I get that tried that I sleep all the time, I immediately know it is my iron - I can't absorb it so I am low 90% of the time.

I will pray that you can get her or you can at least talk to the doctor so that you can get answers for her. Deb

How I wish I could ... I'm at the other end of the continent and only have her here for 3 weeks. My intention was to find information that might make her rethink her attitude towards her health when she got home - a sort of lever, if you will.

My SIL (who has power of attorney) called her doc about 3 months ago to prod them about re-assessing her thyroid meds (they gave her the lowest dose and never checked whether it was doing her any good or not) and she went nuclear ... She does not want any interference whatsoever in her health. We don't want to interfere per se, we just want her to be aware that she needs to be proactive about her health.

I'm at my wit's end. She has some issues that make life less comfortable for her than it could be (every time she sits down she falls asleep, for instance). All it would take is a little involvement from her doc to tweak her meds (in all probability). She prefers to trust her doctor blindly without giving the doctor the means to do his/her job properly i.e. giving feedback, mentioning things that are bothering her, etc.

Thank you again. You are helping me much more than you probably realize. I just wish I didn't feel so helpless.

FCL I am sorry I couldn't be help but unfortunately both our hands are tied. You not having the power of attorney over her and me I'm not a doctor.

If she doesn't want the help there isn't anything anyone can do. Her sleepiness could be from one of many things or a combination. She could even have a sleep disorder.

I wish I could do more.

Debsbears, you are an angel. I hope there are people who appreciate you because I certainly do

As from this evening I officially give up. She said that she would never go to live with my brother and his wife (nobody had ever suggested it) and I had the misfortune to say that making her dependent (she's very independent - and I see that as a good thing) wasn't their goal (nor mine). Suddenly I am trying to run her life. I give up.

Thank you, Debsbears, from the bottom of my heart for having taken the time to listen to me and help me.

Your welcome.

skeeterk replied to fcl's response:
Hey FCL, is there any way you can get medical power of attourney over her?
If she is enganging in dangerous behaviour that she could do harm to herself, (via neglect) the medical POA may help. Also is she suffering with, or been diagnosed with dementia?
What's happening on your side of things is exactly what happened to my Mother. She got cranky started thinking every one was trying to run her life etc. I had her into a special clinic and they found she had dementia.
Just a thought. And yes I know she if refusing to go into a doctor, but there is always an ambulance )
Best of luck in the short time she is in your care!

fcl replied to skeeterk's response:
Hi skeeterk. My hands are pretty well tied. I'm in the south of France, she's in the north of Scotland. Even if it were legally possible, I'm not close enough to be able to keep my finger on what's going on. My SIL has POA and when she tried to help with the medical side the blow out was huge. It left a rift for a LONG time between her an my mother to a point where we realized that if we tried to help again she might just cut off ties with us ...

She isn't exactly engaging in dangerous behaviour. She us just not taking care of her diabetes (not paying any attention at all to what she's eating) and not taking an interest in her health (she never asks her doctor ANYTHING). She thinks her doctor knows absolutely everything and therefore will take the necessary steps for her. She also thinks that because she feels fine that her diabetes is not a problem. Her sole "treatment" for diabetes is a 6 monthly trip to the clinic to check her eyes and her feet. I think she has her AI-C level done too but as she never asks anything there is no way of finding out her numbers. Sigh.

I tend to agree with you about dementia.

Fortunately, we will probably never need to call an ambulance because she is in an assisted residence (I think that's what you call it) appartment. So she has her independence but also has people who check on her, give her her meds, etc. (bless them!).

She left last night to go home so my influence is now much more limited. I just hope she took some of what I said to heart and that she'll start being more of an advocate for her health.

Finally, thank you ever so much for helping and listening. I really needed to talk about this

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

normal reading
My Dr. said I have diabetes my a1c level is 6.5 and wants me to take Metformin 500mg. I took my bs test and it was 103 after I ate. I have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.