Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
help - sudden low sugar
Curgie posted:
Hi there -
I recently had pretty severe food poisoning (symptons ended 3 days ago) and am now experiencing really low numbers (90 in the morning when I am normally around 125 and 66 after eating a good breakfast just now). Waiting for an answer from my doctor but thought I would see if anyone else has experienced this or if it sounds normal. Also, any tips on getting myself back into the groove? I am away from home and trying to enjoy the rest of my vacation.....

thanks!

auriga1 responded:
I just want to say that 90 is not considered a low number. If you are below 70, that is considered a low.

Being at 90 every morning is a good thing. I realize it's not your normal number, but 90 is good. My doctor recommended my a.m. fasting be between 70-110. There are some doctors now advocating 70-100.

When you go below 70, make sure you have some fast-acting glucose on hand. Glucose tabs or some juice. Anything with sugar in it, but it needs to be fast acting. 15 grams of carbs is all that is necessary to bring it up to where it belongs.

Since I use insulin, I always have glucose on me. Tablets or gel.

Enjoy your vacation. Seeing 90 is a good thing and nothing to worry over.

Curgie replied to auriga1's response:
Hi Auriga - thanks so much. Yea I know 90 is a good number but for me to have it first thing (at least in this case) meant I was dizzy. I ended up talking to my doc finally and spent the day battling 48-70 numbers. It was the strangest experience to be drinking soda and juice all day long!

Anyway it's all back to normal now and I thank you for your response - before I talked to my doc I was kind of flipping out a little....

auriga1 replied to Curgie's response:
Your welcome.

BTW, do you take meds? Just curious because of the lows you had.

Know about drinking soda and juice all day long. I fight lows nearly every day. Insulin and lots of activity from my job. I have to eat every four to five hours. It's difficult because I work the actual lunch hour.

Glad you're back to normal.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.