Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
not sick
cnadygirl53 posted:
hello one and all, since I was last here people thought with my attitude on my diabetes I was in denial, but I have started making some changes in my diet and have tried to lose a few pounds and have gotten more sleep, reduce the stress but my mind remains the same. I am no more in a place of taking medicines today than ever. I hope people understand never say never you can be cured of diabetes and I for one think I may not ever have to worry about a thing. went to the dr yesterday he said my sugar was great, eve then a a1c test fine with that. so when the dr tells you your a1c is good two trips not back to back in a row than what does that tell you? and no high blood sugar mind over matter you can be rid of it.

davedsel57 responded:
There is no cure for Type 2 Diabetes. You can reverse the effects, go into remission or simply maintain good control. Two trips showing a good HBa1c does not mean you are cured.

Continue your lifestyle change and you will continue to control your Diabetes.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

technogran responded:
You ask what two trips to the doctor with a good a1c, tells you. Well, actually it doesn't tell you very much. The a1c is an AVERAGE of your blood sugars over the past 3 months, so you could have highs over 200 and lows down to 50 at different times, but when averaged out, they could show a 'good' a1c. What WILL tell you if there is a problem is to take many blood tests with your meter, particularly about 2 hours after a meal. That will show you if your BG's are going high after eating. This is the first place it shows. Fasting numbers also indicate problems but these numbers tend to be the last to increase, with the post prandials being the first indicator.
Also when you say a1c is 'fine', what do you mean? Some doctors will say it is fine up to 7, but in fact that is rather on the high side, and it is much better to have the numbers around 6, if not under. Normal numbers of a non-diabetic are in the range of 4.6-5.0. If you think you are cured, just keep an eye on your numbers regularly testing after meals to see just how 'cured' you really are. Wish you all the luck in keeping your numbers in the normal range if you can.

auriga1 responded:
As Dave said, there is no cure for diabetes. It can go into remission for a very long time with the right diet and activity and with some, medications. Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. You go back to your old ways and you will be right back where you started.

You need to make a lifestyle change for the rest of your life in order to have control over your diabetes.

I have had diabetes for six years now. My last few A1C's have been in the 5's. You know why? Because I work at it and have to for the rest of my life. If I decided to give up everything that I have been doing, my A1C would be right back in the 13's.

Diabetes is not mind over matter. It's eating right and making sure you get enough exercise, lead a less stressful life and sleep well.

Congratulations on your sugar being great. You have to keep working for it, though.

flutetooter responded:
Cnadygirl, I just went back and reread you posts over the last 7 months. I guess all I can say is that when your symptoms get really bad, be sure to check back in with us and we will give you all the help we can. Diabetes is not curable or even manageable by wishful thinking. Look at your A1c. Everything over 5.7 is called prediabetes and 6.6 is a diagnosis for full fledged diabetes. Yours was 6.2 A completely normal person has an A1. of 4.5-- not a prediabetic, or a diabetic in control (which can be even 7.0 depending on how lax the doctor is). The time to slow down the progression is NOW.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears responded:
cnadygirl just out of curiosity what was your 2 a1c you say they are fine but what were they?

I do have to admit once a diabetic always a diabetic. I was diagnosed in 2007. With the proper foods and my Endocrines help we were able to put my diabetes in "remission". I am still a type 2 diabetic. I was on up to 2,000mg a day of metformin. Since March of 2010 I have been off my meds.

I am still a diabetic there is no cure. If I choose to eat wrong foods I will need to go back on the meds. My current A1c is 5.1%. I can't exercise at all Major lung problems and other health issues - I have to hard very hard to keep my diabetes in control - I watch everything I eat - I keep the weight off and strive to be the best I can be.

You can say what ever you want but you can not wish diabetes away it doesn't work that way I am sorry.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Georgiaboy replied to Debsbears's response:
I agree with the rest. There is no cure. This something that you will have to fight all your life. Don't delude yourself into believing you are cured. Even though I've lost weight, my last A1C, doctor said was looking better. But I know that I still have a ways to go to keep this under control. My wife knows this woman whose husband is also diabetic. Doctor tells him he was doing great. What does he do? Goes back to eating like he did before. Next lab work he's sky high on all of the reads. Doctor wanted to put him back on program again. He decided he didn't want to go on a diet again. Now he has waken up with the shakes having to down a coke or juice. Also I was taking to another diabetic who told me about a friend of hers whose doctor screwed up and said the individual was cured. Back to the old ways that got the indvidual into having type2. A bit later individual tells the woman that they were feeling funny.Woman said to go and get checked again because diabeties were flaring up. Individual threw out that the doctor said "cured". So individual went back and sure enough back again. So, no. There isn't a cure, accept that fact and try to get and maintain control of your diabeties.

Georgiaboy replied to Georgiaboy's response:
@Debsbears. Sorry, didn't mean this to tag as a reply to your response. My bad. Was trying to make my own comment. all the remarks were meant for the original poster.

Debsbears replied to Georgiaboy's response:
No sorry needed - sometimes people just respond to the last comment instead of going back up to the top to the original poster. Your good with the comment.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Anon_475 replied to Yashvant's response:
The book was written in 1945. What he observed was more likely (long term) remission than cure.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.