Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Diabetic Son-in-law
Admom posted:
Our new son-in-law was recently diagnosed with Diabetes and Barrett's Disease. He took the news well and is determined to do whatever is necessary to turn his health around. He went back to his doctor today, accompanied by his wife, for the first follow-up since his diagnosis and prescribed medication.
His sugar has gone from 386 to just over 200 in less than a month, but he is suffering from nausea and extreme fatigue. The doctor did NOT want his wife in the room, not due to HIPPA, etc but "because the rooms were to small". She insisted and after much discord, was allowed in. She is his advocate and will be his partner in this daily lifestyle. I couldn't believe the doctor didn't insist she be there... Also, the doctor didn't change anything or discuss the next visit. I think they need new doctor with a positive/team attitude.

Take the Poll

Opinions out there?
  • New Doctor?
  • Additional Specialists?
View Poll Results
davedsel57 responded:

Definitely a new doctor is in order. A blood glucose reading of 200 is still much too high. Your son-in-law needs a doctor that will work with him to control his diseases, and allow his wife to be present at examinations. Spousal support is very important in all areas, but especially when one partner has a chronic condition.

Good luck.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.


auriga1 responded:
I say new doctor is in order. That is bizarre that this doc didn't want his lifemate with him. If he wants his wife there, she should be there. No holds barred.

This is has nothing to do with diabetes, but I took my daughter to the doctor for an anxiety disorder just a few months back. She was 20 at the time. I asked her if she wanted me to come in and she said no. I respected that.

Low and behold, she came back out about 10 minutes later and said the doc wanted to see me. Went into the exam room and he explained everything to me that he told her. I was amazed at the compassion and caring. He wanted all involved in her healthcare and to understand what is going on. I LOVE this doctor. I did say my daugher was 20. He has been her doctor since she was five hours old. The man is wonderful!

It may be me, but I don't like this doctor's attitude. Obviously, you don't either, since you posted here.

If they desire a change, let them do it if it's possible. I would say don't "push and shove" but let them make their own decision. You can voice your opinion in a positive manner and leave it at that.

Helpful Tips

SGLT2 Inhibitor effect
I just read an excellent discussion of SGLT2 inhibitors on, and felt motivated to pass on a heads-up on a possible ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.