Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Difficulty waking up a Type 1 Diabetic
An_249900 posted:
Hi,
My son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetis last year in August when his body went into DKA. During the weeks leading up to his diagnosis we were finding it extremely difficult waking him up. Ever since then he is still very hard to wake up. I had a person with Type 2 diabetes tell me that he would not have a hard time waking up because of the Diabetes. Could this be true? Is this normal or should we be looking for other symptoms related to his Diabetes or another illness? Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks

Anon_74671 responded:
how old is your son? I think in general teenagers have a hard time waking up.

also, how are his sugars? high blood sugar makes me pretty sleepy and I have a hard time waking up.

nutrijoy responded:
Take a finger-prick test of your son's blood sugars while he is sleeping if you are having difficulty waking him up. His morning (i.e., fasting) and bedtime blood glucose levels will provide you with an indication of how well controlled his diabetes is (or isn't). During the initial adjustment period after diagnosis, I normally suggest that the person eat dinner early (finish their meal at least four hours before bedtime) and avoid any late night snacking. Once under control, you my be able to modify the regimen somewhat.

dizzyanne responded:
Hello,
I have type 1. I have also suffered from DKA twice. The last time I was hospitalized for several days. I was told I was close to death.
Prior to me finally asking my mother to take me to the ER I slept all day. You couldn't wake me up. I just wanted to sleep. Just walking a few feet and my heart was racing and I was out of breath. I lost 20lbs in two weeks. Not waking up easily is a sign of diabetes and DKA. You need to monitor his sugars very closely. Also this website even states diabetics have the symptom of difficulty waking up.
Also even now it sometimes very difficult to wake me up. I have had a group of people trying to wake me up for several minutes.
So as long as you are monitoring his sugars and they are not running high he should be fine. I also know when my sugar crashes while I'm sleeping I find that I just wake up out of nowhere and I'm extremely awake. It isn't until I get up to walk that I realize my sugar is crashing.
I hope this helps.
D.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

normal reading
My Dr. said I have diabetes my a1c level is 6.5 and wants me to take Metformin 500mg. I took my bs test and it was 103 after I ate. I have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.