Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Carb levels
Tevora posted:
Hi everyone! I was recently (6 mths ago) diagnosed w/ type 2. My family is not very supportive with helping me with the diabetes. They bring snacks, etc into the house and when my husband cooks for me, it's always fried foods. This year I decided to take matters into my own hands and do my own food. The problem is I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast and a few eggs, but Lean Cuisine for lunch and dinner. I was told that a lot of carbs were not good for diabetics. I'm tracking my carbs since I went on a diet and I cannot get them down. I've lost a few pounds and have started walking, but I don't know if it's going to do any good. Can someone let me know if they've run into this type of situation and what did you do?

flutetooter responded:
Sure you can get your carbs down ---just don't put them down your mouth! (meant in fun, because we realize that this concept is difficult at first but it sure works.) I try not to buy things that don't work for me, but this is sure hard with a family. What if you put their snacks in a special place for them only (like in THEIR closet) and post a picture of the figure and health you are aiming for on the refrigerator. Others will come on this thread soon with serious helpful ideas, like veggies, veggies, veggies....And "don't bite if it's white" (bread, mashed potatoes, rice, flour).
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

mrscora01 responded:
It's hard to cut carbs because we are very used to them. One way to help cut back is to cut back on processed food. A nice salad with meat, cheese, and veggies would be an excellent replacement for a Lean Cuisine with much fewer carbs. Veggies, and things like nuts are excellent snack choices. Protein and cheese is good too.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Tevora replied to flutetooter's response:
Thanks! I'll try the snacks idea and the picture!

Tevora replied to mrscora01's response:
I tried that before but I always have a problem trying to get that together before going to work. With the Lean Cuisine I throw it in a bag and off I go. It's lunch time that's doing me in.

betatoo responded:
A few things here-cut back on starches, not carbs. My Dr. told me to cut all white, after a while I found I had to cut back on the orange and brown carbs. That said, carbohydrates are in most everything but proteins. If you get your carbs from veggies, and some fruit, some brown starches like whole grain bread or pasta you will be better off. I have staved off the diabetes T2 since 2009 doing this, and it has become a life style. My house has chips, crackers, cookies and so many other starches, but I have come to ignore them as they are really poison to me. They are there, because my granddaughter is with us everyday, and my wife likes her cookies and pie. Me I don't even miss, but have one piece of dark chocolate a day. Now I really don't thing diabetes, I think Starch Intolerant!

kseagle responded:
Tevora, I see a lot of bad advice on here. I spent a week in diabetic class. they told us to balance our meals. Lean Cuisine has too much "other stuff" in it and causes your b/s to spike. Carbs are not bad, just need to remember that they convert to sugar. i learned a lesson a long time ago called "moderation in all things." that applies to Diabetis too. My wife n daughter call me just before leaving work (work nights) "Pick us up sweets n junk" Yes I know about non support. I am on a med that actually keeps b/s down and an orange is my friend. Sugary stuff is not. You might consider cooking with splenda. It is made from sugar and has minimal taste. Your family will not notice a difference. a talk with your diabetic doctor might help more.

geni55 responded:
Hi, I understand about the no support and how hard it can be with the family, juggling jobs, kids, and whatnot, but please do your best to get it under control before you end up on insulin or lose your sight, a foot or worse.
Perhaps you could talk with your doctor about bringing your husband and maybe even your children to an education class. They need to understand that you need to get this under control quickly and stay healthy. I lost two very good friends to complications from diabetes and I have to admit that mine is still not completely under control. I know how hard it is to watch everything you eat, but if you and your family can see the actual horrible end results, it might help.
One thing I do to eat better is catch the boneless, skinless chicken breast or tenders on sale. I buy a bunch at once and cook it (oven or grill). Once it's done, I place it in 3 — 4 ounce serving (baggies) and one or two large servings. It that point, it is easy to throw some chicken and some veggies (frozen, salad, whatever) in your lunch and then just nuke it. The larger packages, since the chicken in precooked, just throw it in a stir fry, quick soup, or just reheat it and put it with what you are making for dinner.
It will save time in the evenings when you or your hubby cooks, so that might help encourage him to make healthier choices too
I am sure you can do this with other foods"026 Some days I eat so much chicken I wonder why I'm not growing feathers and cackling J
As someone who lived with a diet saboteur for several years, I can only wish you the best of luck. Perhaps you can make him understand the only thing you are doing is trying to get healthy for you and your family
As far as carbs go, I have heard so much good and bad. Please do remember that you need a certain amount for your body to process foods properly. I am not a big fan of eliminating any food completely, but you do need to watch your portions. White is not necessarily the enemy, but what we put in it and on the bread, potatoes and rice can be. Watch your salt and portions and remember to give YOU time to love and take care of yourself for at least a few minutes every day and that will help too

An_250052 responded:
I am in a similar situation, however I am responsible for my own health, so take charge and offer to cook and buy your own snacks.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.