Skip to content
Some Questions
colesmom63 posted:
Hi this is probably a really stupid question, but I am not sure what to eat. Am I supposed to increase protein and limit carbs? My doctor never really explained to me what I should and should not be eating. I am taking 500mg Metformin 2x a ay. Diarrhea has stopped but the nausea has not and I am not sure if the nausea is caused by what I am eating. Is there such a thing a a free Diabetes education class? Can someone please guide me in the right direction. Thanks!

nutrijoy responded:
There are three basic macronutrients: carbs, fats and proteins. If you limit one, you have to obtain your nutrients from the remaining two. No math wizardry involved. Carbs require the most insulin but, contrary to popular myth, protein (in the absence of carbs) also require some insulin. It is best to get your carbs from complex sources such as vegetables and some fruits (avocado being one of the best). If you want tight control, just eliminate all processed foods, starches and grains.

If you like to eat bread, pancakes and waffles, you can still do so but not conventional types or commercial mixes. You'll have to make your own using coconut flour or almond flour but you'll also need lots of eggs (coconut and almond flours create a very crumbly product unless lots of eggs are used to hold it together). You can find lots of recipes just by typing "coconut flour recipes" in your favorite search engine (ditto for almond flour). Of the two, coconut flour has the lower carb count and no, it does NOT taste like coconut. For sweetening agents, try erythritol (a sugar alcohol) or, my own preference, liquid stevia (I use Now's Stevia Glycerite). Do not use Trevia as it is a blend of stevia and dextrose (glucose) which will raise your blood sugar levels. Be sure to read the nutritional labels of all products carefully.

A good low carb substitute for mashed potatoes is fauxtatoes (type it into your search engine) made with mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes. Properly prepared and "seasoned", many people can't tell the difference between the two; especially if it is lathered with gravy and/or butter.

The preceding is merely the tip of a very large reservoir of foods that are true "diabetes-friendly" unlike some of the recommendations you will find online from the ADA and many dietitians who overly-generalize and offer advice that is NOT always friendly to many diabetics. Even this site has offered potentially misleading advice such as "no food is off-limits" for diabetics (just do a search in Yahoo or Google and you'll find the WebMD article/slide show; at least it was there last month). Most of the establishment also continues to recommend "healthy whole grains" and for some diabetics, grains can still be handled without undue consequences. However, for many others, it will cause rises in blood glucose levels but may just take a bit longer.

Need convincing? Do a search for "glucose structural formula" in your favorite search engine. Repeat for "fructose structural formula" and "sucrose structural formula" (the latter is table sugar). Then do a search for structural formulas for "carbohydrate" and for "starch". You don't have to be a chemist to recognize the ring structures for glucose and fructose and visually see that carbohydrate and starch contain chains of many glucose molecules. The molecules are held together by bonds that are easily broken via the digestive process (yes, even by saliva) freeing them into the blood stream as individual glucose molecules.

Here are some free chapters in PDF format from Dr. Bernstein's book (2003 edition) that may help you better understand the relationship of food and how it affects diabetics:
Chapter 9: The Basic Food Groups (or Much of What You Have Been Taught About Diet is Probably Wrong)
Chapter 10: Diet Guidelines Essential to the Treatment of All
Diabetics

You can RIGHT-click on each link and simply select the [Save link/shortcut as...> to store the file directly on your hard drive for leisurely reading (or simply click on the links to read it in your browser). I hope this helps.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.