Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Low Sugar Question
Debsbears posted:
Here's my problem I need help with: My sugars are now running in the high 60's to the low 80's. Which to many of you would be okay.

Since I had to start taking a new medication for the extra fluid retention thanks to my lung condition my sugars are running way too low for me. The insert does say this medication will affect my sugars, this is the 3rd kind of water pill I have tried that actually works removing the fluid - so I can't change that again.

Bare in mind I am a type 2 in remission and never had my sugars over 130 unless I was on Prednisone or antibiotics, so my lows are not from me having consistently high sugars and I am trying to adjust. My current A1c from Nov. is 5.1%.

My Dr. recommended eating a light meal before bed with about 8 gms of carbs with protein. No problem so I thought well I am waking in the morning after 10 to 12 hrs of sleep with my sugars in the 60's maybe as high as 73.

What can I eat at 10pm to keep my sugars above 75 in the morning?

I do not drink anything but tea, coffee, water and low soduim V-8. I can eat apples, peaches and pears. No nuts (allergies). No red meat, I only eat skinless chicken breast or turkey and fish. I am allowed eggs for protein which I eat in the morning. I can only eat Swiss Cheese. I can have low sodium 100% w w crackers. I can eat all kinds of veggies except green leafy things because I can not digest them. My colon has been 95% removed.

Thanks for your help, Deb.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

flutetooter responded:
8 grams of carbs is about 4 big size wheat thins. Add a small square of swiss cheese on each. Half of that amount is what I often have at bedtime with some (4 oz) water or decaf green tea. It is easier to digest than meat at that hour.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears replied to flutetooter's response:
Flutetooter - currently that is what I am doing but still have the lows in the morning. One night I did awake at 3ish and was totally out of it - so I tested it was 59.

I wonder if I add maybe some fruit if that would help? I just don't know what to do at this point.

flutetooter replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb, even people who are non-diabetic process crackers and fruits more quickly than broccoli and protein. Several diets including Dr. Bernstein's "Diatetes Solution- The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars" ( you already have normal in any case), and his companion cookbook "The Diabetes Diet", which I just bought, suggest not going any longer that 5 hours between meals especially for people on insulin ----which you are not either.

So... IMO only.. I might suggest more protein and less quick acting carbs for instance black soy beans which are largely protein. I don't have you first discussion in front of me, so I can't remember what you can't eat. Also you could set an alarm for 4 hours after bedtime and have a small snack right by your bed.

nutrijoy replied to Debsbears's response:
Have you tried the simple solution: namely, glucose tablets. Normally kept on hand by insulin-dependent diabetics, they can also be used by anyone struggling with low blood sugar levels. Glucose tablets are sold in all supermarkets and drug stores with pharmacies. Each tablet contains a measured amount of glucose. typically 4 grams. One gram of glucose will raise blood sugar levels 4 to 5 points in the average person. Therefore, a single glucose tablet will likely increase your blood sugar level approximately 16 to 20 points.

From your statements, a single glucose tablet is all you will need to stabilize your BG level. My own personal target for BG levels is between 65 and 85 with most experts agreeing that 83 is "normal." Walmart sells glucose tablets in bottles of 50 and in tubes of 10 (the latter costs $1.00 at Walmart with the larger bottle selling for $4.50 or thereabouts). Glucose tablets provide a more precise way to raise your blood sugar levels and works much faster (about ten minutes) than food. You also don't have to worry about too many excess calories or taxing your digestive system in the late evening hours (eating food can interfere with truly restful/restorative REM sleep).

auriga1 responded:
Hey, Deb, I think Flute is right. Try a little bit more protein along with those carbs. The quick-acting carbs aren't going to stay with you. They WILL raise your blood sugar, but it might just drop just as fast, unless you add fiber to this combo of protein and carbs.

I was told to add fiber, but you have colon problems. I don't know if you would be able to tolerate it.

I use two insulins and have been having trouble with this new job of mine. I'm actually too active for the amount of carbs I eat and constantly go low. My problem is I have yet to determine the right combo, too, in order not to go low. How much protein is enough? How many carbs? It gets to be a dilemna. I certainly understand what you are going through. One morning I woke up with a 26. I thought I was seeing things. Grabbed a new strip and used a different finger. That one read 27. Had the shakes really bad. Scared myself nearly to death. Don't know what happened there.

I don't want to get my BS high in order to stave off the lows. Highs damage the body. It's just plain old crazy.

Wishing you luck and I hope you find something to work for you. Keep us in the loop. Take care.

Thanks for the responses I will address Flute's, Nutrijoy's and Auriga1's all in this post:

Flute - I will set the alarm for about 3ish and eat my crackers and Swiss Cheese then. I need to stay away from soy as I make calcium oxalate stones. Soy is known for causes these stones. I do eat soy nut butter on rare occasions because I can't have peanut butter. Thanks for the tip I didn't think of the alarm clock.

Nutrijoy: I used to use the Glucose tabs when I was hypoglycemic and it raised my sugars 30 pts. Not sure that would be good for me right now. As for sleep I have a sleep condition called periodic limb movement disorder with brain arousals - where my brain awakes every 3 minutes all night long - I can not go into REM sleep even with the meds I take. My body might be laying down for 10 to 12 hrs at a time where I think I am sleeping but my brain isn't. This was diagnosed via 2 different 24hr sleep studies trying to find out why I am extremely tired during the day. The doctors thought high sugars then they thought sleep apnea.

Auriga1 - I will try Flute's idea of setting an alarm. As for fiber I am getting enough of that - I have to take 2 capsules of Metamucil everyday and I drink low sodium V-8 with Metamucil all to keep me from getting the runs since the colon removal. I hope and pray you too can get a happy balance with your sugars.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I'll keep you posted, Deb

Also try a large wedge of avocado along with your other snack if you can eat that. It has about 5 gm fat, 3 gm carb and 1 gm protein. The fat is non saturated and any fat will slow down the digestion of your carbs and keep your glucose from dropping as fast. Any evening that I eat some fatty cheese dips my sugar is about 15 points higher in the morning.

I am going shopping on Monday so I will buy some avocado. Can you tell me how to keep it from turning brown?

I did wake up at 3am this morning my sugar was 69 so I ate my cheese and crackers and awoke at 8am with 80 so that is a good thing.

Wrap the cut avocado tightly in Saran wrap to keep out the air and possibly sprinkle lemon juice on the cut part--although I've never tried that. Also, buy a small one and eat 1/4 tp 1/3 of it nightly.

auriga1 replied to Debsbears's response:
Avocado. So yummy. Perfect. Flute hit it right on the head. Drizzle with any acid. Lemon is preferred. I use lime sometimes, too. Taste buds. LOL. I've kept the pit in once I cut it in half to deter the divet from turning brown, too. You have to wrap tightly after you drizzle the juice. If you see browning, take a spoon and lightly scrape off that layer. What's underneath is still good. The thing with avocados is that you do have to eat them right away. Can't let them sit in the fridge for a week after they are cut.

I woke up late yesterday. 10:30. Really late for me, but my week was exhausting. Sitting there drinking a cup of java and felt kind of funny before I ate. Took my BS and it was 55. Just shook my head. Had to have some O.J. 69 is not so bad, but you never know if it's going to go lower. Glad the cheese and crackers helped.

Debsbears replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks for the tips ladies. I will have to wait until Thursday to go shopping it is below 0 here and I can't take the chance of go out except for the Drs appts.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.