Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
More travel issues
flutetooter posted:
We are looking forward to a two week cruise in the Caribbean next week, but with trepidation. Hubby is fine but I have had bradycardia (low heartbeat - average 51, low at night 39, high with exercise 98) for years and it just recently has started to produce symptoms. The doctor will see me again in 6 months to take about a pacemaker. It is probably genetic, since I live a healthy life. Well, there goes all those fun water aerobic moves!

I am therefore doing everything I can to control my blood sugar, stress, weight, stress, caffeine, stress, salt, lipids, etc. In just a week, all have improved. Tonight we bought small cans of low sodium V-8, WASA fiber crackers, walnuts and almonds, protein powder, and high protein bars with adequate sugar, glucose tabs, etc. Where will I fit my clothes in that suitcase? The doctor signed off with----we may have to give you a pacemaker...Have a good trip! Seriously I am in a fairly good mood and will discuss my daily health program with my primary physician on Tuesday. We really ARE good forward to good trip and the excitement of finding healthy food on a cruise. It is like a scavanger hunt. I eat very few grains, no sweets or desserts, modest fruits, but love the ship buffet for salads and veggies. I actually concoct my own recipes right from the buffet bars and general come home a few pounds lighter and trimmer.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears responded:
Have fun we will see you when you get back.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

betatoo responded:
I have been on two cruises with my wife of late, Disney and Norwegian. I don't worry about my diet much on these anymore as the kitchen will adjust my meals to low starch/no starch and give me plenty of veggies. Snacks are also easy as there is always fruit, and cheeses, nuts, and other things available at all day grab and take style restaurants. I had a great time walking the decks, they even had a walk/run route marked out. All in all, cruises are diabetic friendly, and easier to navigate your numbers than going out to dinner.

mrscora01 responded:
I've cruised many times and have always had fun and success. I took a cruise once about 8 months after my kidney transplant. I thought I was getting an infection and went to see the doc. He was excellent and had terrific broad general knowledge. I think that on the very off chance if something does come up, you will get excellent care. So don't worry, have fun, and tell us all about it when you get back.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

flutetooter replied to mrscora01's response:
Thanks for your comments. We travel a lot, but this time I am having to watch my salt as well as my blood sugar and blood pressure. In the past (in the buffet, not the dining room) I have actually gotten a cup of hot water from the tea machine and (secretly) soaked salty ham, etc. to remove most of the salt. Where there's a will, there's a way! I also avoid sauces.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears replied to flutetooter's response:
flute I can relate to the salt reduction - I am allowed no more than 1,500mg a day. I do my best to keep it under 1000 but I still retain the fluid due to an enlarged heart and my lung condition. I will be praying for you while you are gone, Deb
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.