Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
wildly swinging sugar levels
black_sunrise posted:
is it just me or does anybody else who is in the process of learning how to control their blood sugar have a problem with their sugar levels swinging 100 pt either up or down regardless of diet or meds?

and further when my sugar wings low and by low i mean either dropping 100 pts from fasting or under 300, my attitude is garbage and i'm an anger ball. when it swings high, up 100 pts from fasting or over 400 i'm a cry baby wrapped in a sleepy depression.

just for back ground
(over 5 yr period)
highest sugar was 591
lowest sugar was 80
meds include
500 mg to 2000 mgs of metformin a day
5 ml to 20 mls of lantus a day
glimepiride and benazepril and a low dose aspirin a day

Digm70 responded:
I hear you I'm the same way just a little different.I understand the depression as well.To many wild swings and "CRASHES"(bsl under 60(for me at least))You can see my message and my background as well in this blog.Hope things go well for you black sunrise

auriga1 responded:
Black, just want to ask a question regarding your Lantus. You mentioned ml rather than units. Did you mean to?

Lantus is a basal insulin designed to work within your body for 24 hours. It has no discernible peaks of valleys. Once you get to a dosage within your system, your numbers should stay the same to keep your blood sugar levels normal and stay that way.

Lantus is a long-acting insulin, 24 hours. There are other insulins such as medium-acting and rapid-acting.

I use Lantus each morning at the same dosage. My doctor and I had to experiment with upping the units in order to get my blood glucose within the normal range. A.M. fasting should be within 70-110. The Lantus can help a patient achieve this if they inject the proper dosage.

Humalog was also prescribed to keep my blood glucose from rising when I eat carbs at any given meal. It is a rapid-acting insulin which my doctor prescribed with a unit/carb ratio. I am to take one unit of Humalog for every 12 carbs I eat. Each patient is different in how their body reacts with insulin and carb ingestion.

With these two insulins, I have managed to keep my blood sugar under control for six years with an A1C of 5.7. Of course, diet and exercise factor into this along with the insulin.

You shouldn't be having such wild swings in your blood sugar with the proper dosages of meds and insulin. Have you talked with your doctor about this?

If you can get things under control, your attitude and depression should improve. I would call the doctor and have a talk.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.