Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is this normal or low labs?
jerri18071 posted:
Im a 42 year old fm in pretty good shape. Both parents adult onset diabetes. Recently have been having "odd" feeling that I feel could have been hypoglycemic episodes due to poor diet at the time. I went to the dr just to make sure my BS was ok. Here are my fasting labs. Total Insulin was 4 and Hgb A1C 4. This looks picture perfect to me. If I have been having hypoglycemic symptoms wouldn't my Insulin level be higher?

nutrijoy responded:
HYPOglycemic episodes is LOW blood sugar and not high. Your fasting labs do show that you are on the low end of normal. With two parents that are both diabetic, you are at high risk, genetically speaking, for diabetes in your future. However, staying and eating healthy as well as maintaining an active life style (lots of exercise) can often prevent the expression of those genes. If your odd feelings continue, it might be beneficial to invest in a blood glucose testing meter and test your blood sugar levels on arising, before meals, 2 hours after meals, and at bedtime. Do this for at least a week and maintain a written log that can subsequently be analyzed by you and your doctor to determine a better picture of your situation.

jerri18071 replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thanks NutriJoy..yes I realize the difference between hypo and hyper..I thought I went extremely low while driving one day. I had all the symptoms, sweaty, dizzy and had to pull over twice before I got to my destination. After drinking a Coke and eating I was all better. This has happened several times. Ive never had any problem at all with my BS before this but knowing my family hx I went to check it out and just get screened. Doctor didn't seem concerned at all but did suggest a GTT which at this time I don't find necessary. Im trying to eat healthier and don't skip miss which is a terrible habit I have which would make sense for my BS going low. The total insulin level was the thing confusing me. I would expect it to be higher..
Thanks for your reply!

Debsbears replied to jerri18071's response:
Hypo can be just as bad as having hyper. I was hypo for better than 10 yrs before I became a type 2 diabetic. It runs in my family as well at least 3 generations.

It would not be bad to purchase a meter for yourself like NutriJoy suggested. A GTT probably would not hurt as well.

Driving with a low is dangerous - I passed out while driving didn't know I had a sugar problem at the time. When the police came they thought I was drunk and did the breathe test and I told them I didn't drink. I was taken to the hospital and my blood was tested finger poke was 31, blood plasma was 25. I and the other driver could have been killed.

Please do not play around do what is right now before something goes wrong.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

jerri18071 replied to Debsbears's response:
Thanks Debsbears, I have made sure I keep something in my car just incase and also make sure I eat before I drive. Guess I cant treat my body like Im 21. I wont play around with this. It is on my mind frequently. I am a single mom with two young kids. My husband died of a sudden heartattack at age 43 and so did my mom at age 43 due to cancer and complications with diabetes. I hate this age and will be glad to be 44.
Glad you are doing well. That must have been an awful experience.

Debsbears replied to jerri18071's response:
Jerri it was awful. I came too with the head lights facing me, luckily the car I was facing stopped. He sensed something was wrong - I was going about 2 miles an hour on the wrong side of the road. He stopped and ran to stop my car. Thank God he was paying attention.

I had no clue I had a problem until that night. I worked split shift at a bakery and I was done so going home. Quite scary that was about 15yrs ago. A true wake up call.

Sorry to hear that your husband and mom died so young in life. My mom was 50 when she had a massive heart attack, she also had severe diabetes (uncontrolled). I saw how diabetes ruined my families lives and determined not to let it happen to me. My diabetes is in remission. No complications. A few lows thanks to some meds I'm on - I have switch my foods around and I am doing better.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

jerri18071 replied to Debsbears's response:
Wow, what a story. So glad everything came out ok. Sounds like an angel was watching you.
As far as the insulin level, I cant find anything about there being a problem because its low. You know anything about this?

auriga1 replied to Debsbears's response:
Quite a story, Deb. Glad you're came out okay from that scary situation.

I hear you about uncontrolled diabetes. My mother was the exact same way. She had a heart attack in her mid-50's due to the diabetes. The doctor said 80% of her heart was damaged and she needed quadruple bypass. Heart disease runs in my family as does diabetes.

You would think she would have educated herself regarding diabetes. I still don't understand it to this day. Her sugars were never under control and she never alerted her doctor to her situation. He was her cardiologist. She never did go to an endo. This went on for about 10 years. Finally, her kidneys failed and her circulation started to go. She had toes amputated on both feet.

When I was diagnosed, I vowed to do everything in my power to keep the diabetes under control. I work hard at it every day. I do not to wind up like my mother.

I am happy for you that you are in remission. I have no illusions that will happen for me because my doc believes I don't have a working pancreas. It is what it is and I know that.

Jerri, glad that you are aware of the familial connection. You can start now by eating right and be physically active like NutriJoy said.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.