Skip to content
excessive insulin production by the body
gamama posted:
does anyone have a problem with their body producing too much insulin in response to carbs? If so, how do you deal with it?
nutrijoy responded:
When an excess amount of insulin is produced in response to eating carbs (and sometimes even during a fast), the condition could be due to Reactive Hypoglycemia. Here are three online articles that deal with the topic:
Mayo Clinic (Excerpt follows):
For the majority of people, reactive hypoglycemia usually doesn't require medical treatment. It may help to pay attention to the timing and composition of your meals:
  • Eat several small meals and snacks throughout the day, no more than three hours apart.
  • Eat a well-balanced diet including lean and nonmeat sources of protein and high-fiber foods including whole grains, fruit and vegetables.
  • Avoid or limit sugary foods, especially on an empty stomach.
  • Be sure to eat food if you're consuming alcohol and avoid using sugary soft drinks as mixers.
    (End excerpt)
Wikipedia also has a reasonably accurate article on reactive hypoglycemia that includes references and additional links to other information. Although some medical professionals may question the accuracy of a diagnosis of reactive hypoglycemia, the end result in terms of symptoms is similar enough that the dietary recommendations for the disorder are the same. For those suffering from hypoglycemic episodes that occur after eating, regardless of whether one is diabetic or non-diabetic, following the guidelines quoted in the Mayo Clinic excerpt above is generally sound.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 177 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.