Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Embarrassing Question
south70 posted:
I was reading a book about a woman that was diagnosed with Diabetes and one of her symptoms is itching in the groin area..I am female. However, I have type 2 diabetes and have had this off and on for about a month. Is it something I should be worried about, is it a complication. I have been really bad at checking my numbers, however, I did tonight and i ate about 2 hours ago and I am at 161 and I am on metformin extended release 1000 mg every night.. Just looking for some advice.. Thanks

An_245101 responded:
Here's what I found on your topic

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4915841_causes-feminine-itching-yeast-infections.html

this was copied from the above site under the DIABETES section -
  • If you have uncontrolled Type 2 diabetes , you may have vaginal yeast infections as a result of excessive sugar, which promotes the growth of fungi.
Hope this helps.

Anon_1092 responded:
Hi,

I agree with anon. When my glucose was uncontrolled, I had a lot of itching in the groin area. When I brought my blood glucose under control with diet, exercise and meds the itching went away. I have kept my a1c in the low to mid 6's for about 6 years with no itching or vaginal infections.

south70 replied to Anon_1092's response:
Thanks for the info, I haven't been doing what I know I should be.. I need to.. I don't test.. I did this morning I was at 141, I don't eat right. Pizza rolls and I don't exercise.. FB or home work all the time.. Thank you for all the information.. I think that it is time to get back on track and give my dr a call.. =o(

brunosbud replied to south70's response:
You may not realize this but I think your posts are the most helpful for newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetics because:

1. You're not afraid to ask tough questions.
2. You're not afraid to tell the truth.

...You just don't see that combination on a diabetes board, much, these days...

I hope you get busy and feel better, soon, south70!

Debsbears responded:
Hi South70 yes there is a connection with diabetes and female itching mainly in the form of extra sugars that cause a yeast infection. As Anon pointed out. I also thought I'd give you my experience.

My diabetes has been well controlled without meds since March 2010. No yeast infections ever. But in the past month and a half I have been having to deal with severe bronchitis which is not going away at all.

Been on weeks of antibiotics and Prednisone which we all know causes high sugars - even in me so at the moment - due to the meds my sugars are uncontrolled, even restricting my carbs are not helping and I have the unfortunate situation of having to deal with the yeast itch - no fun to say the least.

Please do right by your body and get in control of you diabetes so you can stop the itch. Have you gone to a diabetic class to see what foods you should and should not eat. That would be a good place to start to help you control your sugars. Dr. Dansinger here has many great tips and suggestions as well. Good luck with the female problem.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

auriga1 replied to south70's response:
Congratulations South! You are so right. Time to get on track. Get back your control. You appear to have the right attitude which will go along way.

Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Exercise. Hmmmm, LOL. Many think it's just a dirty word. It helps immensely in keeping control of diabetes. I don't exercise formally, but am very active due to my job. Four hours straight, I am MOVING. Lifting heavy things, etc, etc. It keeps my blood sugar low.

Take care.

Anon_144585 replied to auriga1's response:
I I am a controlled type 2 diabetic for about twenty years. First twelve years, no meds . Diet and excercise only. However I started to inch up toward a1c of 6.9 and was placed on metformin 1000mg once a day, gradually I was placed on prandin 1mg once a day where I remain with an a1c always below 6 and I have a groin itch which has been treated with many substances. First by the gynecologist and later by the dermatologist whose medicine has been the best. The itch is much less, use it twice a day. This is what I am using.triamcinolone 0.1%onintment 454gm. best to you.

Anon_68199 replied to Anon_144585's response:
I too am a controlled Type 2 diabetic. Still managing with diet and exercise since 2008 to date.

Last year I found I was having vaginal tenderness and itch, with a thinning of the tissues that had me bleeding if I wiped too hard. I did not have a yeast infection.

My doctor suggested I try applying an over-the-counter antibiotic cream, or ointment (I prefer the cream), after bathing. That controls the problem for me. Much better thank goodness!

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.