Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sugar levels spiking and dropping
An_250208 posted:
In the am upon awakening my levels are 110-145' within an hour it can drop to 113-84. My dr says just to watch it,but there is something causing it to spike and drop so quickly. When it drops I feel shaky like a rough elevator ride,light headed,sweats,dry mouth, all the usual. The problem is I get the same symptoms whether it is low or high.

nutrijoy responded:
What you are experiencing may be due to the dawn phenomenon , also called the dawn effect . It can occur in both diabetics and non-diabetics and usually cannot be controlled, only tamed. The two terms have been linked to articles on the Mayo clinic site and the dLife.com site. The latter also covers the Somogyi effect but it is less common.

The simplest definition for dawn phenomenon (DP) is "the early-morning (4 a.m. to 8 a.m.) rise in blood glucose level" which is given in the NIDK.NIH's Diabetes Dictionar y (PDF format). In general, if you test your blood sugar level at bedtime; then, when you get up and test it again, if it is higher, it's probably due to the dawn phenomenon. The symptoms that you feel when blood sugars are low or high can seem similar but if you carefully analyze your feelings and with repeated experience, you can often detect minute differences that sometimes aid in differentiating between the two (the best method, of course, is to rely on your BG meter).

If you take insulin, the effect could also be related to your evening insulin dose but that's quite another topic in terms of how to better control an insulin evening dose to minimize DP-like symptoms.

brunosbud responded:
The key for me is repetition. Based on quantitative data (no guessing), I'll take a set number of steps, daily (min 13,000 steps). I always eat the same times. I eat the same things for breakfast & lunch. I split my workouts to increase metabolism throughout the day, 365. I go to sleep the same time, every night, and wake up the same time, each day, then, after a 6 minute stretch, I vigorously workout for 40 mins.

My fasting numbers may vary 10 pts, max. I never feel weak, unsteady or anxious. Two days ago, I experienced car trouble and walked 7 miles (15,400) carrying my laptop and my car's broken starter motor & solenoid with little difficulty.

Note, I haven't mentioned a single word about what to eat...

My body and, hence, my blood glucose numbers, are predictable and, hence, manageable because I am predictable. All nature function this way; without this reliability based on predictability relationship, survival would be impossible. There would be no life. What I'm referring to are healthy "fundamentals". Trying to "treat" diabetes with drugs, alone, is a total crapshoot; no symptom, good or bad, is taken off the table.

But, if you consistently practice healthy fundamentals, everyday, your body can do the very best it can. Diabetes is not just a disease of junk food. It's a disease of irregular and inconsistent practice of the basic fundamentals of nature. Its a disease of irregularity...

and, I still haven't said a word about what to eat.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.