Skip to content
dawn syndrom
tbuilds posted:
is there any danger when fasting morning sugar levels are 130-140 but drop to the 100 range during the day

nutrijoy responded:
There has been a lot of discussion in the medical and health communities about the level at which damage begins to occur in the body when blood glucose levels exceed the norm (normal is defined as 83 mg/dL or 4.6 mmol/L). Organizations like Life Extension believe that damage begins whenever blood sugar levels are 86 mg/dL and higher and they have studies/references to validate their position (read LE's article, Glucose: The Silent Killer ). Most endocrinologists will acknowledge privately that damage to the body's cellular proteins and organs takes place at 120 mg/dL and even lower. My own physician friends (not my personal doctor, just friends) state that studies show that damage to cellular proteins and internal organs will occur as low as 100 mg/dL. However, even if elevated BG levels are only for relatively short periods of time, such as after-meal surges and spikes, the damage is still cumulative and adds up over time. This article on the Blood Sugar 101 site warns about blood sugar levels reaching 140 even though many members in this forum believe that it is "normal" for blood glucose levels to rise markedly after eating a meal. I differ from that viewpoint by making better food choices and am guided by the knowledge that just because something may be common does not make it normal. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions. Adding life to one's years has been my own goal and I am not concerned at all with simply extending those years if quality-of-life factors are not in full harmony.

I don't post as frequently as I used to but I noticed that you had asked your question twice without receiving a response. I decided to give you my views on the matter even though it may be a minority one.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.