Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Exercise and Diabetes
An_250212 posted:
I have been type 2 diabetic for ten years.(now age 55). I don't take insulin. I take glucovance I started doing high intensity interval training (HIIT) a year and half ago. I really like the work out as it is different each time. You get a complete workout in 30-40 minutes. The routine consists of exercises like kettle bells, squats, bear crawls, dumb bell curls and presses, burpees etc. The trainer that runs the class varies the workout each time. The workouts have had a positive impact on my fitness and body. I thought this would have a positive impact on my H1C. What has happened is my H1C has progressively moved up from 6.8 to 7.2 over the last year and a half. When I test my blood right after a workout I get a reading in the mid 200's. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I might be doing wrong. I am eating the same as I had prior to doing these workouts. The only change is I do drink a protein drink each morning. I have asked my doctor and all he tells me is maybe I need to watch my diet. Is this something a endocrinologist could help with. I like the workout and I think I am doing the right kind of things, but it is not resulting in better glucose control. Any suggestions.

brunosbud responded:
The Liver...What affects it's ability to do its job?

Alcohol...Cigarettes...Drugs...Poor nutrition...Use of pain killers, advil and tylenol use, especially...pollution and exposure to industrial and household chemicals (cosmetics and especially cleaning products)...

Don't stop the exercise. It's one of the best things you can do for your liver. Just be mindful of the other "stuff" and, systematically, try to reduce or eliminate your exposure to them.

nutrijoy responded:
Your protein drink could also be a factor. Many protein mixes contain only 3 grams of carb/sugar or less per scoop. However, some of the "body building" brands can contain many times that (well over twenty grams). A gram of carbohydrate will raise blood sugar approximately 5 points in many people (less in very large or overweight/obese people and more in slight/slender types). Rigorous exercise can also raise blood glucose levels. A1c levels above 5.4 can pose long-term risks for complications. Although the advice commonly given is that A1c's below 7.0 is considered "good" or "well controlled," it is anything but. The thermometer graphic is based on the ADA's recommendations (2011), In contrast, my own chart on the right provides a more realistic assessment of A1c levels in terms of the risk for developing long-term complications based on statistics, not theory.
[br>

auriga1 responded:
Well, exercise is a stressor to the body, especially your high intensity workout. It will raise your blood sugar right after a workout.

How many carbs in your protein drink? Check your nutrition label. You may have to cut down in your intake of carbs to get better control.

DPlumey responded:
The problem is in fact your diet. First, drop the protein drink which is processed food (not good for you). Then eat whole foods that are not processed (nothing with a shelf life in a box or can). What's happening is your liver is not able to filter out processed food and break down body fat at the same time which also affects your blood sugar.

You see, as an example if you eats eggs (good fat) and have water to drink, no problem. Your body will break it down as it is a natural fat. If you had OJ with that egg, then your body can't break down that fat from in the egg because it has to get rid of the processed sugar from the juice first thus storing the fat from the egg (not good).

Drop all processed sugars from your diet including fake sugars. That also means juices of any kind which are loaded with sugar. The worst thing in the world to drink is orange juice. If I had to explain the process for OJ, you'd run.

Anyway, Let me know what you are eating and I would be happy to send you a nutritional guide to assist you.

RRS67 responded:
Within 6 weeks with resistive training all my blood, heart, testosterone fundamentals were better that normal.
1) Carbs, bread, sugar or sugar replacement of any kind, hanburgers sausage, hot dog out!!!
2) fresh fish till I swam, fresh chicken, fresh green vegitables
3) 6 to 8 meals a day of smaller amounts = 3 moderate meals
4) use egg white no yoke as after work out protean, egg white omelette with tomato,onions for taste or as boiled egg white right after training. NO YOKE
5) most protean drinks or snacks are high in carbs,sugar, aspartame ( sugar replacement) reported as the worlds most danerous food adative, rest the pancrease CARBS = SUGAR

An_250412 responded:
Vigorous exercises can generate brief periods of hypoglycemia with compensatory shoot up afterwards. Check if you sweat or feel hungry during your exercises then stop and drink something. Change your pace or intensity or eat something (like a banana) 20 min before your work out.
And I beg to disagree that we need to keep HbA1c below 5.4. This will mean lots of people will be on unnecessary medications and there will be lots more morbidity and mortality from hypoglycemia. For older folks, mortality rate is best if the value is between 6.0 and 6.5,

plainjane41 responded:
I've been a type 1 for 18 years- ever since part of my pancreas was removed. I've been on an insulin pump for 12 years. (I'm 71.) For the last several years my A1C has been in the 7's- disasterous as far as I'm concerned. A lot of that was due to stress from 5 major stress-causers over the last 4 years. Six months ago I decided I had to take charge of my life and turn everything right-side up. First I changed my diet and found out that wasn't as bad as I expected. Then I got a personal trainer for kettlebells, and found a new passion in life. When I signed up with Matt, I warned him about my diabetes and that I would be checking my blood sugar during each session. The first session, I checked before I started and it was about 130. Since earlier exercise plans I've tried have always produced lows, I turned off my pump. Halfway through I was at 90. After the full hour I was 240! The pump went on immediately and I gave myself an additional bolus as calculated by the pump.
Matt was as shocked as I was and did some research, specifically checking with another kettlebell instructor who is also a diabetic. Her answer was that exercise of this intensity produces an ATP (adenesine triphosphate) overload which triggers the liver to release extra sugar. This is second- or third-generation Info and I've probably screwed some of it up, but the result is the same.
What has been working for me is to check my b.s. immediately before exercising and adjust it if it seriously out of whack (I've been trying for around 110-120. Leave the pump on and check it again halfway. Adjust again if necessary (I usually don't adjust) and then check again Immediately afterwards. That seems to be working as long as I eat within an hour. The couple times I didn't do that, I was low (53 & 39). Now I go to Subway (pardon the plug but it's close and works for me) and get a steak and egg on whole wheat with lots of veggies and no dressing, and I'm good the rest of the day. Incidentally my HgA1C was 6.3 a month ago. Part of it was diet, but I credit kettlebells with a lot of the improvement. I'm hooked for life.
It sounds like the regimen that you're following is similar. Since you don't have a pump to adjust your b.s., don't forget to drink lots of water. That'll help you keep your sugar in check. I keep a 12 oz can of V-8 with me whenever I'm doing something that might produce a low. That's 18g of healthy carbs. If you're just a little low, just drink part of it. It'll do a lot more good than one of those protein drinks, and you'll have 3 of your vegetable servings out of the way for the day.
Good Luck!

auriga1 replied to An_250412's response:
Agree with your regarding the A1C numbers for diabetics. My doctor lowered my insulin dosages because my A1C kept dropping. He doesn't want it that low (5.6). This is mostly due to lows because of insulin and physical activity. He stated that going below 70 constantly is a stressor on the heart.

It is a daily struggle to keep the intake of food, physical activity and insulin dosaging in balance. It's an exericise in experimentation each day I wake up. I completely understand this poster's dilemna regarding BS and exercise. He just may have to experiment for a bit to see what works best for him.

brunosbud replied to auriga1's response:
auriga1,
One of the great byproducts of hard labor is you sleep, soundly. Have you ever considered your improved A1C may have to do with improved sleep quality?

I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I also have Type 2 Diabetes. Which came first, I do not know...But. I was a terrible snorer since I was a child. And, now, I hardly snore at all. What has had the greatest impact on both my OSA and T2 Diabetes?

Exercise

To understand how sleep can effect metabolism (and blood sugar), please, read the following excellent article...

http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/features/the-role-sleep-type-2-diabetes

auriga1 replied to brunosbud's response:
Brunosbud, a great consideration regarding the hard labor and sleep. Do sleep well - very well.

Never had a problem with sleeping unless completely stressed or ill.

My A1C has dropped each and every test taken. While it's the same job, each day is a little bit more activity or a little less. That's why I can't figure out insulin dosaging and the consumption of carbs. I'm learning to deal. The job is relatively new, about 7 months. This is the first time I've had to deal with physical labor and insulin since my diagnosis in '06. I work 4-5 hours a day, five days a week. Constantly on the move along with lifting and stretching. The weekends, I very rarely go low, unless I decide to exercise. I think I get enough during the work week. At the moment, can't wrap my head around more physical activity. Probably will when the weather warms up (in the Midwest.)

I've just my lost my health insurance. I had been considering the pump because I need insulin 24/7. Yep, even with Type 2 diabetes. I'm probably between Type 1 and 2 (according to my doc), but testing has never been done. My doctor doesn't consider it necessary as I will always need insulin regardless of what the diagnosis is.

Good sleep can be a cure-all for many woes.

Thanks for the link to the article.

brunosbud replied to auriga1's response:
I'm very sorry you lost your health insurance, but...Who knows? Maybe this new path you've taken can help lessen the stress? If you're happy, strong and feeling good you may have just stumbled on the best insurance.

betatoo replied to brunosbud's response:
I have been following this strand with much interest. A few things that come to mind. . . "exercise is a stressor to the body" true, however, continued exercise of the same sort and intensity level ends up being just the opposite, lowering blood pressure, BG, and increasing muscle mass. Part of the change in glucose readings relates to the use of stored fats to supply energy for workouts. Using an energy drink when in poor condition actually defeats some of the exercise effect even though you will continue to build muscle.

Other sides to the effect of exercise include the effect on arthritis, mental acuity, and the heart muscle. Each of these has been shown to benefit from exercise, whether it is walking and weight bearing, or the more extreme exercise programs popular today. Personally, at my age, I prefer the former form of exercise as compared to the extremes-less chance of damage. Heck even something as simple as doing pull ups/chin ups caused me to herniate a disc so the answer is don't over strain.

Most of us here that are conscientious about our diabetes have become acclimated to a lifestyle of healthy eating, and exercise. The benefits are there, just have to stay focused. Good luck all!

auriga1 replied to brunosbud's response:
Who knows, right? With all the physical activity, I am using much less insulin, a bonus for sure. I truly wish I can really be stringent on the carb intake. I cannot.

Truly wierd body chemistry in that I need the basal insulin just to keep my BS numbers normal. I've I am active more than usual, my BS drops. Hence, intake of carbs to get back to normal. I have no control over the activity as each is different at work.

Yes, happy and strong. Thank you.

auriga1 replied to betatoo's response:
So true, so true. I, personally, like the "at my age...." LOL. No kidding.

Had two herniated discs in my back. Doc didn't know how it happened. I didn't know how it happened. He said if you step of a curb just the little bit of a wrong way, you can herniate a disc. Straining going to the bathroom can be detrimental to your discs (keep up that fiber intake!) LOL. His words, not mine.

The benefits are ten-fold. Heck, a hundred-fold.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.