Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Extremely low diabetic 2 level
    lillybelle99 posted:
    My friend is a type 2 diabetic......his sugar level when I found him very out of it was 21. I have him a tablespoon of sugar, a couple gulps of wine and a 6 oz. regular coke. 25 minutes later it was up to 72. Did I give him too much sweets? I was panicky and his BP was 224/99. Then I gave him a blood pressure pill, 25 mg, he'd been off of it b/c it was getting so low, 80/40. Did I give too much sweets too fast and should I have given him the blood pressure pill. I couldn't get him into the car by myself and he has no insurance to call ambulance. He goes to VA b/c a vietnam vet.

nutrijoy responded:
    You can relax. You did just fine. The wine was unnecessary but the tablespoonful of sugar and six ounce coke was probably OK under the circumstances. Both forms of sugar (sucrose and HFCS) contain glucose bonded with fructose. When digested, the glucose portion is absorbed fairly quickly but fructose takes a bit longer as it normally is processed by the liver instead of directly in the G.I. tract. As a result, his blood sugar levels may continue to climb for up to 30 minutes more before leveling off. However, under the circumstances, you did just fine.

In the future, try to purchase and keep glucose tablets on hand. Walmart, for example, sells tubes of ten tablets for $1.00. Each tablet contains 4 grams of glucose which will raise blood sugar in the average male approximately 20 points. Three such tablets would have taken his blood glucose level into the 80's (approximately). Glucose tablets also act fairly quickly (about ten minutes) with no latent rises in BG to worry about.

Helpful Tips

Tip for Less Severe Neuropathy Symptoms
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 over eight years ago and have been lucky enough to control my disease with weight loss, diet and exercise ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.