Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Extremely low diabetic 2 level
LillyBelle99 posted:
My friend is a type 2 diabetic......his sugar level when I found him very out of it was 21. I have him a tablespoon of sugar, a couple gulps of wine and a 6 oz. regular coke. 25 minutes later it was up to 72. Did I give him too much sweets? I was panicky and his BP was 224/99. Then I gave him a blood pressure pill, 25 mg, he'd been off of it b/c it was getting so low, 80/40. Did I give too much sweets too fast and should I have given him the blood pressure pill. I couldn't get him into the car by myself and he has no insurance to call ambulance. He goes to VA b/c a vietnam vet.

nutrijoy responded:
You can relax. You did just fine. The wine was unnecessary but the tablespoonful of sugar and six ounce coke was probably OK under the circumstances. Both forms of sugar (sucrose and HFCS) contain glucose bonded with fructose. When digested, the glucose portion is absorbed fairly quickly but fructose takes a bit longer as it normally is processed by the liver instead of directly in the G.I. tract. As a result, his blood sugar levels may continue to climb for up to 30 minutes more before leveling off. However, under the circumstances, you did just fine.

In the future, try to purchase and keep glucose tablets on hand. Walmart, for example, sells tubes of ten tablets for $1.00. Each tablet contains 4 grams of glucose which will raise blood sugar in the average male approximately 20 points. Three such tablets would have taken his blood glucose level into the 80's (approximately). Glucose tablets also act fairly quickly (about ten minutes) with no latent rises in BG to worry about.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.