Skip to content
getting BACK on track
An_250297 posted:
I'm in a position now where if feels like I'm new to this. It's like I've simply forgotten HOW to do this..I know to take my Lantus every morning and to check my blood. I just can't seem to remember if I test my blood before my morning shot? or after?... I know to check my blood before I eat and again an hour after..if my blood sugar is up I know I'm to take a certain amount of Humalog depending on my levels ...how soon after I take the Humalog do I re-test my blood? and if it's still high do I take more??

nutrijoy responded:
Using insulin is pretty basic but does require learning how it affects you personally. Although basal insulin (e.g., Lantus) doses are usually static, bolus insulin (e.g., Humalog) doses are dynamic and should be self-adjusted as required if you truly want to self-manage your diabetes and gain the tight control needed to prevent future complications. In other words, using bolus insulin dynamically simply means that you have to adjust your doses to match your food consumption, activity levels and other lifestyle factors. To do that safely and minimize/prevent the risk of hypo episodes, you must know or learn what your individual insulin-to-carb ratio is so that you can gauge the correct bolus dosage needed for a particular meal or snack. You must also know (or learn) how other lifestyle factors such as exercise (or lack thereof) will impact that dose. Initially, much of this will require some degree of trial and error. Maintaining a written log of all factors involved will enable you to fine tune your dosage regimen over time and to better understand variances. This will help you minimize chronic occurrences of things getting off kilter when your BG levels read higher or lower than expected. The written log will also help ensure that everything won't be forgotten in the event that you encounter future fuzzy brain episodes; the latter can be caused by persistent or frequent elevated BG levels.

To respond to your questions more directly, your Lantus should be injected at the same time each day and using your BG meter is usually not tied to the time of that injection nor is it required unless your doctor wanted you to check it. Your BG meter is normally used to measure your BG levels upon arising, before meals (usually 15 to 30 minutes before eating), 2 hours after meals (i.e., 2 hours after taking the first bite of the meal), and at bedtime. The duration of action of bolus insulin is about 5 hours (4-6 hours for most people) and if you test 2 hours after a meal, the resulting reading should definitely be recorded in your log but it is usually NOT actionable because your mealtime insulin dose is still at work in your system. You'll have to wait 5 hours after the injection before the insulin dose has been expended or depleted. In other words, retesting your BG levels is not based on "x" number of hours after the injection. You test to find out how a meal affected you and there are many factors that can skew the results such as if you have gastroparesis and/or insulin resistance. A simple forum posting or response is insufficient to provide you with the extensive background information that you may require and you should either go to the library or your favorite book store to gain more knowledge. A good place to start is "Think Like A Pancreas " by Gary Scheiner (which was recently updated) or "Using Insulin " by John Walsh (the latter is a bit dated (2006) but is till well worth the read).

MisticRoses replied to nutrijoy's response:
wanted to say thank you for your help. everything is going so much better now:)

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.