Skip to content
Confided
CRaper posted:
I am a Type 2 diabetic and have been taking Metformin 150 mg for around two years. Recently I had bloodworm done and my A1C went up to 6.9. I discussed with my doctor that my morning glucose checks were consistently high -- anywhere from 130 to 150s. This morning it was 166 which was an hour after getting up and a cup of coffee only.

When I talked to the doctor, he recommended increasing my med to 175 which I have been doing for about a week but am seeing absolutely no change and don't understand why.

Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated.

An_245101 responded:
I have never heard of someone taking 150mg of Metformin.

The usual amount is 500mg daily and if that is not working with diet changes they increase it by 500mg increments.

It is obvious that 175mg of Metformin is not enough. Have you changed your diet? Are you eating more carbs than normal? What's your exercise level? Do you test as soon as you get up or always wait an hour? A morning fasting should be on a empty stomach first thing in the morning.

You should be talking to an Endocrine Dr who specializes in diabetes. I am not an expert and everywhere I read up on Metformin the minimum amount of dosage is 500mg. I didn't know they made it in 150mg of 175mg.

CRaper replied to An_245101's response:
I am sorry....have been feeling bad the last few days and didn't even notice what I had posted. The correct dosage was 500 mg which has now been increased to750. Again, I have been taking the increased amt for several days with no change in my levels. But having stomach ache and headaches for a couple of days and know that prob had an affect on my glucose levels.

brunosbud responded:
Do you have anemia? If you;re anemic, blood glucose tests may not be accurate. Low red blood cell counts can falsely increase blood glucose readings as much as 25% too high.

Are you dizzy at times? Do you feel light-headed or woozy upon waking? Do you look pale? Do you breath heavily while walking? If so, check with your doctor.

NWSmom4g replied to brunosbud's response:
brunosbud, most tests...if not all...have built-in algorithims to account for moderate deviations from the normal range of RBC counts. Unless the patient is extremely low...or high...the results should not be clinically affected.

Nancy

brunosbud replied to NWSmom4g's response:
Nancy,

Sure, I agree. I'm also certain that CRaper knows how to properly use a glucometer and that the readings he/she is getting is accurate...

All the same, for those who have been newly diagnosed and are using their meters for the first time, it's important that they learn proper use & calibration of their meter and the importance of repeating the recommended steps when making measurements, each and every time.

With regards to anemia, I'll simply provide the following references and let them decide whether it may or may not be of relevance to them. May late sister suffered chronic anemia most of her adult life...

When using a glucometer...

http://www.ehow.com/about_5637817_glucose-meter-problems.html

"...Many factors can contribute to a meter reading a blood sample as high in glucose when it really isn't. Some of these include a contaminated or dirty blood sample, a contaminated or dirty glucose meter, expired or faulty test strips, a dehydrated or anemic patient, or using a blood sample site other than indicated by the physician, such as somewhere other than the finger tips..."

When Interpreting A1C...

http://diabetes.about.com/od/symptomsdiagnosis/a/HbA1c.htm

What Are the Limitations of the A1c Test?

"...While the A1c is a good measure of overall glucose control, it cannot replace self-testing of blood glucose. Like other tests, results may vary from lab to lab. The A1c test is not calibrated the same everywhere
A1c results can be misleading when red blood cell survival is prolonged or reduced; some health conditions can result in falsely high A1c results (as in cases of anemia) or falsely low (as in cases of hemolysis)..."

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.