Skip to content
Diet and the insulin pump
Anon_26078 posted:
If I wear an insulin pump and I religiously bolus insulin whenwver I consume a carb (even if it only 2 grams), do I really need to follow a restrictive, diabetic diet?

mrscora01 responded:
Technically no, you don't. But that does not mean that you can eat whatever you want. No one, not even a non-d can do that. You will still have to balance your food, your exercise, and your weight to maintain good health. But if you are severely restricting carbs and are not on insulin, the insulin (especially in a pump which allows more accurate dosing) will allow you to eat a less restrictive diet.

I won't get into the carb controversy. You will have to decide for yourself how much carb you want to eat. I was a moderate carb person myself.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

betatoo responded:
There is a big difference between consuming that carb and using it, and consuming that carb and storing it as fat with the help of the insulin. Continued storing will do nothing more than increase your girth.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.