Skip to content
Diabetes
JBM261 posted:
EMT's came last night because my husband couldn't keep himself up and kept falling (3 times). He originally got out of bed to take a Benydryl for what he thought was the Niacin flush he sometimes gets from Niaspan - but this was a burning in his chest and legs . The EMT asked if he had diabetes and I frgot to ask him why he asked that. Has anyone had that experience? I thought it was a TIA but it passed within about 5 minutes. Anyone had a similar experience? Thx

Debsbears responded:
How is your husband now? Did they take him to the hospital and run tests? Is he diabetic? Is there anything else going on? There can be many reasons for falling.

When I had burning in the chest and legs as well as pain it was a blood clot in my lungs and pulmonary artery.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

JBM261 replied to Debsbears's response:
Thank you for reply. The EMTs got here within 3 min and husband no pain throughout. We are now believing it was that he took Niaspan too late in the day and that episode can be a side effect. He has had a stroke and MIAs in the past but this wasn't like that - hence just as scary. Thanks again for your thoughtful reply.

Debsbears replied to JBM261's response:
JBM261 have you had your husband tested for diabetes? Are you planning on having any tests done to make sure he is okay?

From what I read on Niaspan it can alter blood sugars and that regular blood tests are needed to keep an eye on liver and kidney levels.

Sorry for probing, but his situation sounds like he needs to be seen and not just assume it's a side effect of the med.

JBM261 replied to Debsbears's response:
Thank you. Yes we see the Dr every 4 mos and he does monitor the liver and kidneys, as you mentioned. Husb been on Niaspan for over 15 years and it is remarkable when it works for you. Increases his good cholesterol and he's on a comprehensive regimen. We have appt next week and will have insulin as well as sugar checked. Thx again and good health to you!

Debsbears replied to JBM261's response:
I will keep you guys in my prayers. Please keep us posted as to how things turn out. Deb

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.