Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
diet and supplements for elevated blood sugar
Island7 posted:
I here so many conflicting theories on proper diet for blood sugar, some say no carbs others say 20gm carb/day and yet others say eat whole wheat grains which also have carbs......comments appreciated

also supplements, are there any that people have had good results with, I heard turmeric, chromium cinnamon, bitter melon, vit D moringa, pbx as well as others,
thanks

mrscora01 responded:
Every person is different. How much carb you can and should eat will be determined by your blood sugar meter and your own personal preferences and what you can live with. As for supplements, I hear different things from different folks. You'll have to see what others say and try some for yourself. My only suggestion is to only try one thing at a time though so you know what is affecting you.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

nutrijoy responded:
I'll address your supplements query. Banaba leaf, bitter melon, green tea extracts, cinnamon, chromium, vanadyl sulfate, fenugreek, and alpha-lipoic acid are among the many dietary supplements that have been studied for diabetes management. These ingredients are rarely included in standard formulations of daily multivitamins due to the added cost and other factors. However, you can often find combinations of the aforementioned substances in various proprietary, "miracle diabetes formulas" that are sold at premium prices far beyond their cost-benefit ratios. Many of these natural herbs and extracts have shown some value in lowering blood glucose levels in laboratory animals but provide only marginal benefits in humans with the possible exception of alpha lipoic acid.

A small percentage of users have reported that it helps them "dramatically" lower their blood sugar levels but I believe that, on closer analysis, it could just as readily have been due to improvements in their lifestyle modifications. These include diet, exercise, and weight loss (particularly the reduction of BMI and belly fat). If you have the funds, you might want to experiment with them on a short term basis (e.g., three to six months) but carefully monitor and evaluate your results. Don't make the mistake of purchasing or committing to long term quantities such as the auto-ship programs promoted by many vendors as well as hucksters. Many of these substances work by exerting a modest effect on the reduction of insulin resistance but it is inconclusive as to whether they lower blood glucose levels directly (with the possible exception of alpha lipoic acid).

If your own problem is primarily one of insulin resistance, these substances "might be" of some value. I have personally tried most of these herbs and extracts in various blends and combinations. In fact, I spent well over a thousand dollars (U.S.) per year purchasing various formulations that claimed to specifically target or benefit diabetes. My experiment ended after two years with very disappointing results. Although I still take quite a few nutritional supplements, all are focused on improving general health and not on diabetes specifically. These include coenzyme Q10 (ubiquinol form), vitamin D3 (6,000 IU daily in divided doses), benfotiamine, alpha lipoic acid (in combination with biotin), gamma tocopherol, a high quality multivitamin (special multi-dose daily formulation), EPA/DHA, GLA with sesame lignans, curcumin, lutein/zeaxanthin/astaxanthin blend, L-acetyl carnitine, and others.

ArikoSan replied to nutrijoy's response:
Dear NutriJoy, one of the biggest problems on scientific studies es the great variation on commercial vs standardized grade supplements and plant extracts, in order to properly replicate a therapeutic effect we need to have the same ingredients and most commercially available products do not have the qualities required to have those beneficial effects we are looking for and very commonly, the vitamin/supplement trials use preparations that don't conform quality standards for therapeutic use like the infamous Nurse's study where they used Centrum vitamins which, by the way, are probably the worst supplements available for the general public, always check for at least USP certification or even better use Pharmaceutical Grade, regards.

betatoo responded:
As state here, lifestyle changes are a personal choice that should be based on your BG readings, your ability to change, and how far you are willing to go. Many here have embraced a low starch approach, where as others have gone vegetarian, or even vegan. I cannot make that sort of commitment(vegetarian) as I still like meat on my plate. I follow the very low starch approach, and this along with exercise and weight control allows me to stay off meds.

I have read extensively on the whole lifestyle diet issue, the approach I use is based much on the glycemic index and load. You may find this very helpful reading, as it seems to make the most sense out of all of the "diet" information out there.

Consistency of supplements is not really regulated, and so you never know what you get. Product reputation is helpful at times to help you select the best, but even that is not failproof.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

food that helps dibeties
Try raw vegetable. Blend raw veggies that are complex carbs. Complex take a long time to be converted into glocose. They are filling and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.