Skip to content
One month low carb boot camp
flutetooter posted:
I have a month between travels and events which would tempt me to overdo the carbs, so I am taking data and recording everything I eat. The purpose is to see if being extra careful can prevent my having to start on Metformin. I will take into consideration what kind of food plan keeps me happy also. Fortunately I do not like sweets and deserts, and have already given up sugar in my coffee. I just finished a yummy pumpkin souffle-type snack of 1/2 C Greek plain yogurt, 1/2 C organic pumpkin, 1/4 slivered almond, 2 T half and half, and 1Tsp. cinnamon - all chilled. Total Carbs, 10. Breakfast was egg/veggie omelet, coffee, salmon. 1 hr. pp glucose was 92. Lunch will be a large salad with chicken and possibly 1/2 orange. Dinner will be pork, cabbage, other non-starch veggies stew. Snack might be 1/2 apple and peanut butter.

I eat about 6 small meals/snacks each day. More if I exercise. I'll keep you posted now and then. I am not intending to lose any more than 5 pounds, but to build more muscle with more age apropriate exercise. I also understand that bringing down the blood glucose may help to bring down lipids (blood fats-cholesterol) also. We'll see.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

flutetooter responded:
Typo ---- should be 1/4 CUP slivered almonds.

Debsbears replied to flutetooter's response:
Sounds like a good plan. Can't wait to see the results.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

flutetooter replied to Debsbears's response:
Day #1 - stayed under blood glucose of 96 all day, even 1 hr pp for all meals. EXCEPT - came home from swim class at 91 and had a small meal of 1/2 peach, yogurt and walnuts. bg 1 hr only went up to 121. This morning fasting - 94. I am eating good nourishing food (even low carb chilil - YUM), only limiting high glycemic carbs.

I would not be so particular when my numbers are seemingly low to most of you guys, but I was developing other related symptoms. Also, my A1c had gone up into the diabetic range recently.

Your low carb chilli sounds good - do you make it with ground turkey?

I like your numbers so far - your doing good Flute.

flutetooter replied to Debsbears's response:
My chili is made with either 96% lean beef, or 93-99 lean turkey. I prefer the beef for chili. I use the equivalent of only 1/4 Cup red kidney beans (about 10 carbs) per cup of finished chili, lots of grated cabbage or zucchini (it ends up looking like more meat), some diced onions, no salt diced tomatoes, and low sodium V-8 and water. Also try black soy beans (canned) because they have much less carbs. Then make it taste like chili with chili pepper and spices. A finished cup has between 15 & 20 total carbs and is actually more than my stomach can hold. I usually eat only 3/4 cup and a little salad.

This morning I had a cheese, mushroom, broccoli omelet, salmon, avocado slice, coffee. Snack was 2 mini cukes with humus, lots of tea. I don't let myself get low or hungry because then my liver will chug out more sugar (glycogen) than I would normally eat. Blueberries, Greek plain yogurt and walnut sundae coming up! Also weight was down 2 lbs. today because I cut back on salt. Feeling great. Thanks for the support.

I am going shopping tomorrow so I am going to pick up the stuff to make your chili. Since I can't process red meat I'll go for the lean ground turkey. It really sounds good.

I'll have to let you know how it was. Deb

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
I make a pepper mash 6-8 varieties of pepper peeled, garlic, and onion. All goes into a blender with a little oil. blend until thick salsa like. Add teaspoon, tablespoon to chili, soups, anything. Freeze in ice cube trays and store in plastic bag in freezer. Much more flavor than chili powder and none of the chili powder grain. You can make this mild or hot depending on how many of each pepper you use. If you use a lot of habanero-hot, very few habanero, more banana and jalapeno-milder.

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
Thanks Beta, and for your other replies to other posts today. I really follow your ideas. New findings for me on day 4 of "Boot Camp" is that cutting my carbs at breakfast to under 10 grams seems to start the day off right with lots of energy and no rises from my fasting glucose number even at 1 hr. post prandial.

My body sems to be more insulin resistant early in the morning, probably because I am not moving around as much at that time. Dr. Bernstein's book also recomments lower carb intact at breakfast than at the other meals. I limit breakfast carbs to veggies. I then eat a snack later in the morning. My post meal glucose doesn't seem to rise until evening, probably again because I am not moving around so much after dinner, and tend to eat more carbs then.

I think it all depends on your circadian rhythms. I am more of a morning person, having a lot of get up and go when getting up. As the day goes on, I get less done, and lose my energy. So in the mornings a piece of toast with breakfast of eggs and bacon is OK. Even a sandwich round type of sandwich at lunch. I always end the day with a salad-no starches. Lunch usually is just lean protein and veggies. You may be more of mid day or evening person, needing higher energy levels at those times.

I try to watch the post here, but find myself less inclined to comment unless the topic is of particular interest or having trouble.

This begins week #2 of the low carb boot camp. Good to hear from you Beta. I'm reading/consulting several new books with low carb ideas, including managing low carbs when exercising. I tended to feel low, but am now "feeding forward" when I do anything in the gym or take off on a long walk. I then end up with normal sugars. No weight was gained on the cruise.

I have had manyglucose reading in the mid 80's, both fasting and during the day. When I venture out, I always take food, and try to run a little higher. Time will tell with a home test A1c at the end of the month. It is always close to my lab work. I also took all my measurements at the beginning to see if that roll of "sugar fat" around the waist begins to disappear. I miss the fruit right now, but will reinstate limited amounts by 'n by.

Keep up the good work Flute you are almost there, love the numbers.

Keep on cranking, I think you are on the right track. It is difficult at times, but the last year I have found very little to tempt me. Now when someone at the table to my right is eating pie, and someone to the left is having a hot fudge sundae or German Chocolate cake, I just have an extra cup of coffee.

Keep up the good work, and be assured it gets easier.

Beta, do you make your "pepper mash" with cooked peppers, or raw? I made any interesting "omelet" with sauteed portabello mushroom slices with very thin eggplant slices (no real flavor and very low carb) and onions. I seasoned them and then made sure most of the liquid was evaporated. Then I cracked two eggs into depressions in the mash, covered the pan, and essentially poached the eggs. That left enough carbs in my breakfast quota for a 1/2 cup of V-8 and coffee. I also had a snck mid morning so I don't lose much weight in trying to bring down my A1c. I am following the exercise thread here with interest.

I roast the peppers over a flame, or in the oven until the skins are charred-place them in a plastic bag immediately to steam. After about 15 minutes, remove from the bag, clean off the skins, clean out the seeds and place in a food processor, add garlic and onion to your taste, and a little bit of olive oil. Chop until chunky smooth. This can be kept in a container for about two weeks, otherwise place into ice cube tray, freeze and then bag. Depending on your mix of peppers seasoning chili, soup, omelets, will take a little trial and error. however, you will find that unlike chili powder, there is no graininess, the fire starts in the belly not the lips, and it is a great flavor enhancer to replace chili powder with. We use it in soups, sauces, chili(red and white) nearly everything that you cook.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.