Skip to content
Diabetic meds
TomJ45 posted:
I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes about 2 years ago. At that time as now, I am walking at least 5 miles per day and working out with free weights at night. I'm 6 ft. and weighed 220. I now weigh 195. My problem is that since I've lost weight my readings have actually gone up. I was normally in the 150 to 160 range with an occasional 95 to 110 reading. Now my readings are 180 to 300 with an occasional drop as low as 100. I'm currently on Metformin and Januvia; prior to that I was on always on Metformin with one of the following, Glipizide, Tradjenta, Glimepiride, or Glipzide XL. None seem to work. They don't want to put me on insulin because apparently my pancreas seems to be working somewhat. I rarely eat sweets and have cut way back on carbs. There doesn't seem to be any consistency as to when it's low or high, except that it's mostly high. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and has had any success with anything to correct it. I also don't drink or smoke.

flutetooter responded:
Since you have lost 25 pounds (congratulations!), in case you are eating the same number of grams of carbohydrates as you were before, they will affect your blood sugar more greatly than when you were heavier. You will need to cut your carbs down even more as you lose weight, because you just don't need the greater amount for energy and body repairs.

If none of the meds you have tried are working, please go back to your doctor and have a discussion about meds and the amount of carbs you should eat per meal. Many of us have cut WAY back, and find that if you match the number of carbs you eat to the amount of insulin capacity you presently have, your numbers will then begin to drop.

For instance, if I keep my total grams of all carbohydrates per meal under 10, then my blood sugar doesn't rise at all, even at the 1 hr. mark. But... if I eat out like tonight and have a few bites of yummy breading on the fish, then my 1 hour glucose reading was 178! With fast walking and weights, I brought it down to 85 at the 2 hour mark. Experiment with some testing after you eat to see what foods and what amounts affect you the most.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

TomJ45 replied to flutetooter's response:
I appreciate the help. I hadn't given it much thought, but you're right, less body weight would mean to eat less carbs. My problem is that my blood sugar levels are much higher when I fast. From what I understand, the liver secretes glucose when it senses a need from the body. I'm currently taking Januvia which is supposed to slow that process down. It just doesn't seem to be too effective.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.