Skip to content
High glucose reading in insulin dependent type 2 diabetic
grann00 posted:
My glucose reading is 319 after having a cortisone injection this afternoon. Do I need to take more insulin?
Debsbears responded:
grann00 you might want to call your Dr.

I know full well that when I get cortisone injestions my sugars go up to the 200 range. Since I am not on diabetes meds I have to extremely limit my carb intake for at least 3 days.

My sugars can stay unually high for about a week, then go back to my normal 90's to no more than 110. I am not sure with someone on insulin what they should do. Please call your Dr.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:

hurtin28009 responded:
if you are on a sliding scale insulin you may have to discuss that with your doctor, this is when my doctor added a sliding scale insulin to my treatment and it helped.
auriga1 responded:
Your best bet would be to call your doctor as the other posters referred to.

We have no idea what type of insulin or insulins you are taking. If you have a rapid-acting insulin, it might be judicious to use it, but call your doctor first.

I use two insulins, one a basal (Lantus) and the other a rapid-acting (Humalog.)

My doctor gave me a carb to insulin ratio regarding the Humalog. I use it with meals at 1 unit to every 12 grams of carbs. 1/12. If, my blood glucose reading is higher than it should be before a meal (depending on that number) I need to use extra units, in addition, to my regular bolus.

Your doctor can give you a parameter with your insulin and blood glucose readings. Everyone is different, so it's important to give a call.

It does get very tricky when using steroids. It most cases, the blood sugar will rise.

Helpful Tips

Have an icecream Bar and think it's Christmas!!
Blue Bunny makes a smaller version of icecream bars. Name is "Blue Bunny Star Bars" and come 20 in a box. The carbs on each bar is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.