Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes Treatment
An_249383 posted:
Update - three months later after getting told by doctor I had better do something because I had diabetes calluses on my feet, my feet were numb, my blood sugar was 336, my ACL was 14.5 - and I was drinking 8 - 10 cans of Coca Cola a day. After taking 2000 mg Metformin daily and modifying my diet - went cold turkey on Coca Cola and sugar in my tea and coffee - and cutting back on sugar - max 50 g per day or so - I have lowered my 336 blood glucose reading to 190 and falling. I had no idea how bad my diabetes was. Found out about it about one year ago and didn't take it seriously. Now I am. Shooting for below 150 with increased exercise since I am not allowed to run due to diabetes calluses on each of my big toes. They are clearing up well now. Getting below 200 is amazing for me now. My feet are no longer swollen but still a little numb Used to be a marathon runner and then stopped exercising. Now getting back into the groove. Don't drink Coca Cola - I was drinking 8-10 cans a day. Now I drink Coke Zero and don't even taste the difference. By summer, I am shooting for 126 and no longer a diabetic !!!!

colesmom63 responded:
Congrats on getting your sugars down. I also have a callus on my big toe, never even thought it could be from Diabetes. I also have trouble taking this seriously. I am a carb addict! I just want to tell you unfortunately once a diabetic, always a diabetic. You can control it, but it never entirely goes away. Good luck to you!

brunosbud responded:
Excellent...It's great that you're getting some outstanding results for your efforts. Don't worry about not being able to run, you can accomplish your goal of 126 just as easily through walking. I've run the LA marathon, and I walk to control my diabetes. The key is consistent, daily, "activity". How you get "it" is not so important so as long as its no activity.

Many people view diabetes as a disease of food (carbs). Yet, alcohol consumption can affect diabetes, greatly. Same goes for smoking. Same goes for insomnia and sleep apnea. Same goes for use of steroids and common pain killers. So, what does booze, smokes, snoring, drugs, stress and exercise have to do with "carbs"? Diabetes is a compromised state of health that affects how we process carbs. So, the question we should all consider is, What health benefits does Coke Zero (any drink other than water) add?

Note: If I sound a whee bit paranoid, sorry, but I need a few more years to qualify for medicare. For those who have read the latest issue of Time magazine ("Bitter Pill:Why Medical Bills are Killing Us") you can, undoubtedly, understand.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.