Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Wk. #3 Glucose Boot Camp
flutetooter posted:
I've cut my carbs down as much a I care to right now, so am excited about getting back to exercise sessions with a personal trainer that works slowly enough for me without causing muscle injuries. I did this a couple years ago and loved it, but didn't quite know how to manage the blood sugar drop at 30 minutes into the session, when I would feel totally washed out and unable to go on.

Now I "feed forward" with 1/2 a Builder's Protein bar (1/2 would be 15 grams carbs and 10 grams protein) and having glucose 4 gram tablets ready. I got through an hour of water exercise including some lap pool swimming that way, with energy left to spare at the end. I also bought some cool rainbow colored goggles and light weight, flexible swim fins because my legs need some training help. I will be doing some swimming in the Gulf in a couple weeks. For me, exercise is the only way for me to be able to eat more carbs.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears responded:
Flute I am so excited for you - you even sound happier in your post. Keep up the good work. Deb
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

dizzyanne responded:
You are an inspiration. I love reading your post.

betatoo responded:
Sounds like you are doing well, and are excited about the new exercise program-great! Yes, I think you find a place where you have to say "This is where I stand". For me that was at an slice of toast in the morning and and occasional sandwich at lunch, or a slice of crusty whole grain type bread. It is hard to find the balance that you can enjoy, and not slide away from. All of us here support you in your quest for better health-BG numbers will follow.

flutetooter responded:
My session with the personal trainer went very well. My husband and I share a "small group", 2 people , session, so we don't get worn out. Eating a 1/2 a protein/carb bar 15 minutes before and taking 1/2 a glucose tab (2mg) at the 30 minute mark gave me enough energy. I also had a small whey protein/ berry shake on the way home to start the muscles on their repair job.We will try to do this once a week, along with the swimming and slushing through snow.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
Good luck, be careful, and with the voice of experience don't hurt anything!

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.