Skip to content
A1C
barb10562 posted:
My last A1C in Feb ( after the holidays) was 7.5. Is that all that bad? My endo seems to think so and started talking about insulin.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

flutetooter responded:
Hi Barb. I went back through your posts and found that you have ben a diabetic for about 20 years.You mentioned various meds and the fact that a year ago your A1c was 6.6. The 7.5 is a raise that needs to be looked into ( that level will damage all your organs), and if your present diet and exercise and meds program is not working, then your endo IMO is probably correct.

I did notice in your posts that you mention cheating a lot and eating more over holidays. We all do that occasionally, but it takes its toll on our blood sugar.

One thing was not clear to me. Several times you mention limiting your carbs at meal to 8-10. 8-10 WHAT? Is that 8-10 carb servings or 8-10 actually grams of carbohydrates? Because 8-10 servings would be 110-150 grams of carbs per meal, more than I eat in an entire day. If the insulin you produce in your own body cannot handle this much, then medical insulin will be needed. Remember that in counting grams you need to count the carbs in fruits, veggies, canned goods, as well as starches.

A meal with 8-10 grams of carbohydrates could contain only less than 1/2 of a medium apple, and the rest only protein and fat - no breads, veggies, rice, coffee with sugar, etc.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 responded:
Barb, in answer to your question, I think that is not a good number.

Most physicians recommend being under 7.

If you have done all you can through diet and exercise, it might be time for insulin. If you think you can work on both these things, try your best. Take it a day at a time. As Flute stated, many do "cheat" or tend to go overboard. Be honest with yourself, Barb.

Take control of your diabetes. You've done it before. You can do it again.

High A1c's are absolutely no good for your body. Don't let your food choices ruin your chances at a good healthy lifestyle.

nutrijoy responded:
A picture is worth a thousand words:

betatoo replied to nutrijoy's response:
Extreme. This puts normal A1C at 5.0 with a 68-100 FBG. A lot of normal folks aren't in this area. More like 5.4, but then what do I know.

brunosbud replied to nutrijoy's response:
I hope this thermometer was based on rainforest tribesmen or Tibetan monks...

auriga1 replied to betatoo's response:
Most non-diabetics' readings fall around the average blood glucose reading of 85.

Of course, if carbs are ingested that number will rise, but then falls back down at the two-hour mark.

You can see differences all over the board when it comes to normal A1C or average for a non-diabetic. What number do you pick? Mostly, I've seen 4-6% as being non-diabetic. Who's right?

Debsbears replied to betatoo's response:
I guess I am not normal then I'm 5.4% in Nov.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

auriga1 replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb, you are normal. Am I normal? Never. LOL. Hey, when first diagnosed, my A1C was 13.2. Very dangerous. Two weeks ago, had my A1C done and it was 5.6. We have been diagnosed as diabetics and always will be.

When I was in school, we had a semester that included home testing for the patient. Part of this was the glucose monitoring. We had to test each other (18 of us.) Every single girl was in the 80's. Young and old alike. All different weights. My blood sugar reading was like a nuclear bomb that was set off. The whole classroom hushed. Talk about embarrassment. Got me to the doctor, though. Had a reading in the 300's. Two hours after a meal. It's been higher than that, too.

Dang, girl, pat yourself on the back. You are doing excellent work.

Debsbears replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks Auriga - so I wonder if that chart is for "non diabetics" or us. My Dr says to stay below 6% if it's a little higher she would not complain. How healthy can it be for a diabetic to be in the 4% range and taking meds - to me dangerous. - A little extreme for me -

I am at 5.4% without meds and/or exercise because I can't - it is strictly by food.

I am glad you got to the Dr and brought your numbers w[a style="color: rgb(0, 102, 153); cursor: pointer;" id="exchange-post-enabled_A1" class="template-reply-post" onclick="LoginCreatePost(this,'diabetes-exchange','3'); return false;"> ay down. Congrats on your 5.6% Deb

flutetooter replied to Debsbears's response:
Dr. Bernstein's idea is that most of the non diabetic people he tested were at that line between the green number 4 and the green number 5 -- in other words an A1c of 4.5 and a fasting sugar of 83. However, most doctors keep their patients higher because of the chance of severe hypoglycemia in those who take insulin and those who can't regulate their numbers sufficiently for safety. In fact, the blood strips in U.S. meters underwent a change several years ago to read "lower" than they actually were because of some people dying. More info in Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution book and wesite and monthly WEBinars. He also has the range from 6-7 or so being the level for the beginnings of complications, although not as serious as higher blood sugar levels. So WE ALL are right!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears replied to flutetooter's response:
Thanks for the understanding. I don't know what happened to my post/reply above looks like something went haywire during the submitting process.

betatoo replied to auriga1's response:
Last A1C was a year ago, and was 5.8, FBG at the time was 85. I still work for lower numbers, and think they will be here as I am tested in a few weeks. My Dr. presently figures my health and determination such that he has taken me off of the 6 month schedule. This winter, no flu, or other illnesses. Haven't had anything like a cookie since last Christmas. We'll see how the plan is working. Personally, I think being around 5 over or under a few points would be grand.

auriga1 replied to betatoo's response:
Beta, I strive for the lower numbers, too. But, it has hit me on the bad side because of insulin usage. If you can maintain tight control without meds, I think that's a good thing.

I'd have to give up all carbs in order to see a 5, I think. I just don't know. Certainly, I would love to see it, too. Working five days a week and being active for those four hours has me going low. My doctor adjusted the basal insulin to a lower dose, but it's the same thing if I eat; my blood sugar rises. I can't keep up the activity all day long or I'll fall over.

Your hard work has certainly paid off in a good way.

MATIN replied to auriga1's response:
In my case , Insulin is raising blood pressure. But without insulin I cannot lower sugar. Sugar is bouncing.
Meyormin harmed me, how can I stop bouncing?

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.