Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Insulin Intolerance vs Insulin Resistance
KJithoo posted:
Hi, I just wanted to know if Insulin Intolerance and Insulin Resistance is the same thing?

Also, if you have this does it mean that you are pre-diabetes?

I am new to all this and was just diagnosed with Insulin Intolerance after many blood tests.

I am just trying to figure out where I go from here. My doc has placed me on glucophage.

Thank you

nutrijoy responded:
Insulin intolerance, also known as insulin resistance, is a complicated hormonal disorder that makes insulin far less effective at lowering a person's blood sugar levels. Although insulin resistance is the more common term, the two are one and the same. Being insulin resistant/intolerant will cause or result in an increase in blood glucose levels. One of the actions of Glucophage is to reduce insulin resistance. I personally have never liked the term, "pre-diabetes" because, more often than not, it can mislead some (perhaps many) patients into believing it is not as serious as full blown diabetes. I often hear comments like "I still have time," "I'm not quite there yet," and other equally dismissive notions of being able to postpone serious attention to their "pre" condition that will "eventually" progress or morph into full blown diabetes. Instead of calling it pre-, it might be more accurate to call it early stage diabetes because, if untreated or if requisite lifestyle (diet & exercise) modifications are not made, the early stage will progress into full blown diabetes within ten years; often much, much less.

KJithoo replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thank you so much for your response! This is very helpful.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.