Skip to content
I have a dumb question -
Anon_999 posted:
If someone has their sugar controlled to the point of the perfect A1c of 4.8% why would they need to keep using insulin. Should they stop using it but keep track of their sugars? I am just curious. The Dr says to keep using it - but the sugars are normal. It doesnot make sence to me.

flutetooter responded:
Anon, glad you asked, because stopping your insulin could lead to a disaster of high sugars again and great damage to your organs. For "normal", really non-diabetic people, their blood sugar (from the foods they eat) is controlled automatically by their bodies with their own insulin produced by their pancreas beta cells.

Whenever, for various reasons, they are diagnosed as diabetic, or prediabetic, or glucose intolerant, or insulin resistant that automatic "Control" is NOT WORKING! Either their pancreas is not producing enough insulin to handle the foods they eat, or their cells are blocking the entry of insulin into the cells and the body keeps producing too much insulin which is not acting the way it needs to act because it can't enter the cells and get the sugars into the cells where it is needed. In either case, the blood has too much sugar and the body cells are not getting enough. There are other various reasons also.

Therefore, the doctor prescribes medicines and/or injected insulin to handle their blood sugar and bring it BACK to the "Normal" range. You will never be normal again as to having or not having diabetes. It will just be "controlled" or not.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

mrscora01 responded:
Your body has a normal a1c BECAUSE you are taking the insulin. Insulin lowers blood sugar, so if you stop taking it, your blood sugar will go up. Always consult with the doctor before stopping any medication.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Anon_999 responded:
thanks you for your help, I will tell my friend about this and that he should keep insulin going unless his doctor says no. we just thought with the A1c so good - there whould be no need for insulin. thanks again.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.