Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Alergic Reactions to Medications
An_250721 posted:

My sister was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes a year or two ago. This past January she was prescribed Victoza liraglutide and immediately began suffering from itchy hands, mucus in her mouth, diarrhea, vomiting that lasted about 12 hours with each episode. Episodes were about 1 week apart. Her doctor had her stop usage after 6 weeks. Other things were researched to rule out other medical conditions. Not episodes occurred while off the medication. She then began using Novolog Mix 70/30 Flexpen last Monday and last night had the same reaction only more severe. this time she was beginning to have trouble swallowing. She was treated in the ER as an allergic reaction, is home now and resting. My question-Is there an inert ingredient common to these two medications (made by the same company) that may be causing this allergic reaction? Is there recommended resources to research this question?

rohvannyn responded:
Ask a pharmacist if you can find one, and definitely ask the manufacturer. Most of them have toll free numbers.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.