Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it possible I only have Pre- diabetes?
jordanfmly posted:
My doctor informed me 2wks ago that I was diabetic. My A1c was 6.6. I was not entirely shocked, My lifestyle was headed that way for sure. But with the A1c being only 6.6.. I get mixed messages on whether it is pre or full diabetes. I left the Doctor's office and immediately started changing my diet etc. My weight is down 7lbs already. I check my sugar each morning and the highest its been is 128. most of the time its 99 to 114. Those appear to be pre-diabetic numbers from what I read anyway. I just wonder if I am trully FULL DIABETIC.? since I am controlling my sugar at this time, I imagine before I knew, when I was eating anything I wanted, my numbers were prob higher. She told me I just barely crossed over to diabetes. So does this mean I will always be diabetic? or am I able to reverse back to pre-diabetes. sorry to sound so ignorant on the matter, I just dont know too much about this disease yet, still learning,and maybe a little wishful thinking that I am not a true diabetic yet..Its a bit overwhelming.

mrscora01 responded:
You are right in that the 6.6 is barely into the diabetes range (pre-d usually ends at about 6.5). But you can't just go by your fasting numbers. The level at the 2 hour post-meal mark will affect your a1c significantly. Since you are somewhat high fasting, the odds are that you are even higher after meals. Have you tested then?

I'm also sorry to tell you that you will always have diabetes. With work (diet, exercise) you can may be able to control it and not need meds. But if you went back to your old eating habits, your blood sugar would go up again.

There is every possibility though that with some work, you can even get your numbers back into the non-d range. Best of luck.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

jordanfmly replied to mrscora01's response:
Thank You.. I did test after breakfast and it was only 93.. But I am eating very strict. Guess I was hoping the Doc may have been mistaken. lol.. You are right, If I were eating what I was eating before diagnosed, I am sure I would have seen much higher numbers than now. It is very overwhelming at first. So If I am understanding you correctly, Even if I get my numbers to Perfect, It still makes me a diabetic, Just a controlled one? so much to learn. Thank you so much for your reply,, it really does help to hear from people who know from experience.

nutrijoy responded:
An A1c of 6.6 is equivalent to an average blood glucose level of 158 ng/dl, 24/7. That is approximately twice normal and is definitely a sign of a challenged metabolism. The really bad news that most patients don't fully grasp is that an "average" means that you experienced levels that were both higher and lower. During the higher or elevated periods, a silent process known as glycation did some insidious but very serious damage to your blood vessels and internal organs. Elevated blood glucose levels is also toxic to beta cells and will continue to kill them off, slowly but ever so relentlessly. That's why many type 2 diabetics often have to go on insulin (plenty of references available if you want to see the studies).
This article, How--and Why--the ADA Keeps Doctors from Diagnosing Early Diabetes , on the Blood Sugar 101 website, is a must read for those who are still on the fence in terms of deciding whether they are diabetic or only pre-diabetic. Quite honestly, by the time you are even diagnosed as having an impaired metabolic condition, considerable damage has already taken place and will continue its relentless progress unless you take active steps to normalize your blood glucose levels instead of indulging in self doubt or self debate as to whether you are "only" pre-diabetic or have the genuine article.

jordanfmly replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thanks NutriJoy..
Your so right. I will accept my diagnosis and press on to do the best I can do. I ate out last night , thats the first time since Diagnosed and woke to sugar level of 173.. I am no longer in self doubt. It is just time to accept and control. Thanks for the info. Believe its time to educate myself and continue to eat healthy and continue to lose weight. It has just been overwhelming,

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.