Skip to content
SURPRISED AT MY A1C READING
An_250754 posted:
I am on 30 units of Lantus along with Glucovance. I take my BS only in the morning and it is in the 104 range. I just got my A1C report and it came back at 8.5 which shocked me. That averages 197 over a 3 month period. Since I do eat a lot of bread (wheat) during the day and an occasional donut I decided to diet today with mostly no carb meals. Again in the morning it was 105 before eating. After 1 packet of instant oatmeal it read 165. Before dinner it read 110 and I made just peppers and eggs for dinner with light wheat bread (one slice) and about two hours later just a peanut butter sandwich... now two hours later it reads 197... I am now about to take my Lantus injection before bed. Are these spikes normal during the day... I am trying to get my A1C count down with low carb meals. Will see what it reads in the morning but are these spikes normal? Jason

mrscora01 responded:
From what I have read, your post meal readings are a better indicator of what your a1c will be. It is obvious that you are seriously spiking after meals. Options are for you to cut back on carbs significantly, or start taking a rapid acting insulin when you eat carbs to keep your blood sugars more stable. Adding exercise if you have not already done so is also a good idea.

As for the spikes, if you want to be in the non-d range, you need to be at about 120 or 140. The post meal numbers you are getting are too high.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

jasononsweets replied to mrscora01's response:
It was 197 last night before bed and was 84 when I just woke up. Always low in the morning and I did all low carbs yesterday... just had oatmeal and it will probaly go up again but I read that for dtabetics it can go to 200 after meals, is that true? I take Lantus and trying to avoid the Novalog before each meal as I am starting to feel like a pin cushion in my little belly and finger tips. I don't like the lows and highs and if a A1C of 8.5 it seems like the highs are predominant. Are spikes after eating normal?

Debsbears responded:
Hi Jason I am confused probably because of the name change - was it damondj? As damondj you were having problems with your sugars having A1c's between 8-10 for 10yrs. So that is why you started using Lantus a year ago.

Anyway, when did you start adding the Glucovance to the Lantus? I know nothing about insulin but I do know that Metformin can take up to 6 weeks for the full effect.

Glucovance is both Glybuide and Metformin and I am sure it can take a few weeks to normalize your sugars. What is your Dr saying about your ups and downs with your numbers?
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

mrscora01 replied to jasononsweets's response:
Jason, at 2 hours after eating you should be between 120 and 140. There are different opinions and you will have to choose which one to shoot for (some docs say 180 but I personally think that's too high). If you are at the 200 mark, that is waaaay to high.

Try not to think of it as being a pin cushion, but rather more of one of being in control. Before I was pumping I tested 10 to 12 times per day and took 4 to 5 shots. It's not as bad as you think. Fingers heal well and you can use both sides of a finger and up to the next knuckle too. So you would test each finger only once every couple of days.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

auriga1 replied to jasononsweets's response:
You are spiking after meals, Jason. This is an indication that carbs are not your friend. Any carbs. I had the same problem as you. I now take both the Lantus and Humalog with meals. I cannot eat any carbs without my blood sugar going up. Any kind of bread sends it into the stratosphere unless it's mostly made up of fiber.

Anyone who eats carbs, and that includes non-diabetics, will spike after a meal. The non-diabetic will return to their normal blood sugar readings two hours after that meal. For non-diabetics, the average is 85.

Jason, if you don't want spiking after meals, eliminate carbs. Realistically, that doesn't happen often and could be dangerous.

You need to talk to your doctor regarding your blood sugar readings, especially after meals.

I now have a job which is physically laborious. This happens for four hours straight. I can eat my lunch and not spike because I am running around, lifting, stretching, etc. I have eliminated the Humalog injection at lunchtime because of this. Otherwise, I go too low.

Your high readings after meals will give you an A1C in an unsafe range. You can be doing damage to your ograns and blood circulation. Please give your doctor a call.

I know about the pin-cushion feeling as does MrsCora. I was an unconrolled diabetic at diagnosis. My doctors started me on intensive insulin therapy management. I had to record every food and carb content of that food along with my BS readings before I ate and then two hours after. In the beginning, I was testing eight times a day along with taking the insulin injections. You do what you have to do in order to get your diabetes under control in order to avoid complications.

The intensive management and written journal helped me immensely. I have been able to get my A1C down to 5.6 from 13.2. Exercise with all of this was crucial and will always be.

jasononsweets replied to auriga1's response:
I've been on this low carb diet 2 days now and someone told me it takes more than 2 days to have it kick in. Not sure if that is correct. I was 84 in the morning but after a low carb diet all day again it rose to 190 and what I had to eat was Oatmeal for breakfast, cream of celery soup for lunch and 2 tomato sandwiches for dinner using Lite Wheat Pepperridge Farm bread... will test again in 3 hours and will probaly get a high reading despite eating very little during the day. Strange how my morning counts are so low. I have to eat but I guess you are right that carbs, any carbs do not agree with me. Do you think my friend was correct when he said the diet takes about a week to kick in? I'm not sure as a reading is a reading. I started the Glucovance about ten years ago and after many years I finally started Lantus first with 18 units and now with 30 units and my doctor told me to increase it to 38 units... definitely I am concerned which is why I am eating like a pigeon compared to before. Does a low carb diet take time to kick in or should it show results immediately?

betatoo replied to jasononsweets's response:
Eating like a pigeon, with two sandwiches at lunch, oatmeal at breakfast. . . hmmm. I have 2 eggbeaters scrambled with a little cheddar, 2 pieces of well cooked bacon, and one slice of rye toast for breakfast, usually lunch is a handful of lean cooked chicken and a bowl full of mixed stir fry veggies cooked in the bowl with chipolte ranch dressing after microwave. Otherwise it is a grilled chicken salad and one for dinner also. I f I go out it is just protein and veggies maybe a slice of a dark bread loaf. More like eating like a pigeon, wouldn't you say. I am 5'9" weigh 155-158, 31 waist, with a 42 coat.

jasononsweets replied to betatoo's response:
My diet right now is about the same as yours except that I will replace the oatmeal with eggbeaters in the morning. I am 5'8 162 33 waist... my question is, does a low carb diet bring immediate results or take a few days?

betatoo replied to jasononsweets's response:
It took 3 months for me to see a reversal of numbers, and one year to see 5.8 readings.

jasononsweets replied to betatoo's response:
Oh, that surprises me as I was expecting immediate results. I was 197 last night and just woke up to a 95.... had Eggbeaters with one slice of lite wheat bread a few minutes ago. So it does not bring your count down quickly when on a low carb diet? Does the low count every morning mean my pancreas is working okay but diet is the answer and not insulin. I do take Lantus before bed....

jasononsweets replied to jasononsweets's response:
Is GLUCERNA a good low carb drink for diabetics?

flutetooter replied to jasononsweets's response:
Glucerna is meant as an entire meal replacement, in my understanding. Look at the Total number of carbs on the label and compare that with your doctor's recommendation for total carbs for a meal. Why not drink water or tea and save your carbs for nutricious fruits and vegetables.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

jasononsweets replied to flutetooter's response:
It does have 30 carbs but loaded with vitamins and advertised as a way to avoid spikes in sugar but I'm not sure. Again last night 197 and just 94 this morning. Still on a low carb diet.

Debsbears replied to jasononsweets's response:
What is it you are eating every night? You keep saying you are 197 at night before bed. You also say you are eating a low carb diet?

What does your supper consist of - that might be one of the problems.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.