Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
wieght lose
arliejo posted:
I am very concerned about my cousin who is a type 2 diabetic.
She needs to lose weight but keeps telling me that her doctor said she can't lose weight because she takes two different insulin a day.
Is this true?

anon615 responded:
Perhaps the doctor meant that insulin is a fat storage hormone and people often gain weight when using it. However, if she follows a good diet and stays away from junk food then she will lose some weight and possibly be able to reduce or come off insulin.

Dolores

Anon_320 responded:
WebMD has a food and fitness tracker that has helped me lose weight and lower my blood glucose levels significantly. It will track calorie intake and calories burned by activity, and carbs, as well as things like sodium and saturated fat.

If your cousin isn't motivated, though, there's not a lot you can do, unfortunately.

Has she spoken to a nutritionist?

Richard157 responded:
I am type 1 since 1945 and I gained weight in the 1990's.I am using both basal and bolus insulins. I reduced my carb intake from 200 to 130 carbs per day, and increased my exercise. I lost 34 pounds in one year.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.