Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
insulin
arliejo posted:
can you ever get off of insulin once you start taking it?

mrscora01 responded:
It depends on your particular type of diabetes. If you are a type 1 or type 1.5, then no, you can't get off insulin. If you are a type 2, then the answer is maybe. In some cases in type 2, the insulin producing cells are burned out and insulin is required. In some cases with diet, exercise, and other meds, it is possible to get off insulin.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

cooper1402 replied to mrscora01's response:
I am a type 1 diabetic diagnosed at age 11 and I am now 36. Up until this last June I took crazy amounts of insulin to control my diabetes. In June I had enough. I changed my diet and started excersizing daily. I have lost 55 lbs and no longer take meal time insulin because I watch my carb count so closely. I also cut my long acting insulin from 45 units to 26 units. I know I will never be off insulin totally but taking one shot a day is much better then the 5 I was.

jasononsweets replied to cooper1402's response:
What is your BS count?

NWSmom4g replied to jasononsweets's response:
Most of us don't "count" blood sugars...we test the level, in milligrams per 100 mL (deciliter). A blood "count" is exactly that: you count the number of red and/or white cells in a given volume of whole blood.

Nancy

jasononsweets replied to NWSmom4g's response:
Guess it is semantics... when you test your blood with your monitor what does it read on an average?

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.