Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
research
jc3737 posted:
From pub med...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/941870

flutetooter responded:
Date of study 1976, Number of persons in study 13.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
Yep, nuf said!

jc3737 replied to betatoo's response:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19386029?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_SingleItemSupl.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=4&log$=relatedreviews&logdbfrom=pubmed

According to a statement by the American Diabetes Association, ""026there is little evidence that total carbohydrate is associated with the development of type 2 diabetes. Rather, a stronger association has been observed between total fat and saturated fat and type 2 diabetes."10 Multiple studies have shown an inverse relationship between the amount of carbohydrate consumed and the development of diabetes.11 Populations of people worldwide who eat diets centered on high glycemic index carbohydrates, like rice for rural Asians, and potatoes for people in Peru, are essentially free of diabetes.12,13

The reasons why carbohydrates benefit diabetics have their roots in our fundamental metabolism. As far back as 1936 Harold Percival Himsworth reported that the ability of insulin to lower blood sugar was improved by eating carbohydrates.15 In contrast, fats in the diet paralyze the activity of insulin, cause insulin resistance, and cause the blood sugars to rise.11 All these changes, combined with the resulting obesity from eating fatty foods, encourage the development of type-2 diabetes. For people now following the Western diet, a change to a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet slows progression to diabetes.16,17 This same diet will cure type-2 diabetes.18-20

jc3737 replied to jc3737's response:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/3/574.abstract

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/5/1588S.abstract?etoc

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/25/1/38.full

mrscora01 replied to jc3737's response:
I couldn't get your links to work, but if they are as old as the first one, then they are almost 40 years out of date.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

flutetooter replied to jc3737's response:
JC, I'm glad you found a bunch of studies that brought your numbers back to normal, Many of us have found different studies that have our D2 in control, although probably not a perfect as yours. Different things work for different people.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

betatoo replied to jc3737's response:
Studies, and more, have chosen to go so many different directions to control diabetes. Heck it was just 2 years ago that the ADA recognized the low carb diet for control of DT2. I do know that the first year I was obsessive about testing after, before, mid times etc. I know what the numbers were when I ate a meal with a small amount, large amount and no starches. I also paid attention to what my body felt like after these meals, and how when I cut the starches and concentrated on more foods lower on the glycemic index and load how things went. I decided enough experimenting, time to stick to what works. Now I don't test, now I am on one yearly checkups, and tomorrow I will find out how well MY PLAN has worked.

jc3737 replied to mrscora01's response:
they are recent studies...I have many many more similar to these....the link works for me,I just tried it again.

I am most definitely not saying anyone who is having success should change... just that its worth a two week trial if one has not been successful with their approach....

and with any approach it would be necessary to closely monitor blood sugar to be sure the diet was not having an adverse affect....that is critical

let me know how your check-up goes....best of luck!

jc3737 replied to flutetooter's response:
I agree that different things work for different people so the McDougall diet is an alternative for those not already having success.

I just wanted everone to know that a starch based diet has tons of scientifiic studies that back it up because so many people actually beleive that starches are bad for diabetes when for a great many its just the opposite....its fat that causes the problem....you may have a differentt reaction to starches but its been good for countless millions acrosss the globe that eat a diet that is almost totally starch based.

Although the western diet is rapidly spreading across Asia and only small pockets remain that still eat the traditional Asian diet.But those that still eat the traditional diet don't get diabetes.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.