Skip to content
Exercise & Sugar Control, attn. Photo
flutetooter posted:
The post on hypolglycemia remended me of my problems with hard exercise sessions and running out of sugar. I would be unable to continue after about 30 min.

This morning I did fine with a small breakfast of 1/4 cup blackeyed peas (high sugar but slow acting),ham and coffee. My exercise session with a personal trainer would start in 1 hour. 15 minutes before, I ate 1/2 Cliff Builder Bar with 15 grams carbs 10, protein. I took with me (in a tiny baggie in my sock) several 1/2 tablets of glucose which I popped when needed. An hour after exercise, my blood glucose was 110 and I felt fine - not exhausted or tired. I then ate a regular snack size meal with protein - 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, with 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, and slivered almonds.

This method is using the idea of SMALL numbers to correct a problem. I notice that many people eat a whole meal to correct a low. What is necessary IMO is to just correct that low, not go over and cause a high. For longer walks, I carry glucose tabs in every jacket. Keep in mind that I am 74 yrs. old weigh 137 pounds, so meals for others would change to fit them.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

betatoo responded:
Your small numbers trick seems to bake much more sense to me than those that try to treat a low with a lot of sugar to only compensate the next high with insulin. You seem to be getting a good handle on your exercise and glucose levels. Fabulous! Keep up the good work.

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
Thanks, Beta. You are my model right now diet and number wise, anyway - not so sure about the hat! I simply LOVE my personal training session. Hubby and I make a "small group" so the cost is less. Today was BOSU ball balance; fast twitch quick stepping frontwards, backwards, sideways; TRX (suspension straps) plank work; floor planks (I can do it now!), rowing machine; wall squats, shoulder pullup machine; walking with weights on track (for bone density); lunges and 1 leg balance stuff; tread mill stuff with motor off. I can't wait to do kayaking on Sanibel next week. Also trying my fins in the Gulf. I'll be working on healthy eating after just seeing PBS special on Dr. Fuhrman's Immunity Sollution.

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
Been wearing the hat for 40 years, much before they started to get popular again.

You do well on your own with your numbers, and the exercise will build muscle which as we know has better insulin absorption than other tissue. Workouts like what you are doing will help make your years richer, easier to handle, and in the end much happier. We all know that people in an exercise program have less stress, lower incidence of depression and higher self esteem and confidence when in social situations. Whats bad about any of that! Keep it up, and good luck.

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
I do like that hat. On me, my choice is an English newsboys cap. By the way, my fg this morning was 82 - no meds. Just shows what exercise does for me.

Since this seems to be attainable, I will put off considering metformin. I know it is supposed to be harmless, assists in making insulin resistance less (which is something I need), and helps prevent breast cancer according to recent news.

This thing that would not be in my favor IMO is that it keeps the liver from chugging out too much sugar. Since the "dawn phenomenon" does not affect me, I need my liver to produce sugar when I do need it. Now I'll wait until my next A1c to see how this pans out over the months.

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
I think you are smart to follow your numbers, and the improvement you are seeing in them. To medicate when not in need is probably the smart thing to do. I am going to try to stay away as long as possible from any chemical aids to the DT2 problem.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.