Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Low carb diets and high BG levels
cc1234 posted:
Hey Everyone,I've been researching to find an answer but haven't found one like mine so I thought I would reach out to to knowledgable people. About a year ago I went to the doctor with a few syptoms complaints that I wanted resolved (slipped disk, hot flashes, and inability to lose weight) the IM doctor ran some test and based on my history/symptoms suggested I might be mildly IR and suggested I follow a low carb diet. I didn't heed her advice until about 6 months ago when the hot flashes got really bad. Since then I have been able to lose about 15 lbs, running 10+ miles a week and eating less than 150g of carbs a day. Recently I experienced a really scary episode of what I think was low BG. So as any good health teacher does, I purchased a glucometer and started testing my fasting and 1hr/2hr post meal for my "carbiest" meal. My question is could my diet be producing artificially high numbers? Here are my results;Day 1: Fast 112; 1/2 hr 148/112Day 2: Fast 112; forgot my 1/2; bedtime 106Day 3: Fast 107 1/2 hr 147/105Today :Fast 110 1/2 hr (after 20 g carb meal) 117/97I guess the only other thing to note is I've tested after my long runs (4miles) when I felt low and the reading was in the 80s/90s so maybe I'm mistaking being "low" for something else?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

cc1234 responded:
This might be relative information. I am female, 23 years old, 5'4" 155lbs.

auriga1 responded:
If you thought you had an episode of low blood sugar, you should have tested right then.

A blood sugar low is a reading of 70 or lower according to the medical community.

Anyone who eats carbs will have a blood glucose level higher than their normal. A non-diabetic averages around 85. If they eat a meal consisting of carbs, their BS will rise, but will return to normal two hours later.

I don't understand why you test 1/2 hour after eating. Everyone will be higher after eating carbs. A non-diabetic will return to normal two hours after a meal containing any carbs.

Eating carbs does not produce higher artificial numbers. They are higher.

A reading in the 80's and 90's is perfectly normal, not low.

flutetooter responded:
I'm confused about some of your numbers. What does "(after 20 g carb meal)117/971" mean? I'm asking about the 117/971.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears responded:
From what I am reading here there are NO lows. I get that your numbers are at 1hr and 2hrs which is = 1/2 but WHY are you testing an hour after eating then again 2 hrs after eating? That makes no sense.

Your fasting numbers of 112, 112, 107 and 110 are a little high but not drastic.

Your hour readings are high but we don't test 1 hour after eating, we are typically instructed to test 2hrs after eating our last bite. Looking at your 2hr numbers 112, 105, 97 and 90 are all normal. Lows are below 70.

I am not sure if you are asking a question or what but please test in the morning and 2 hrs after eating. No need to test at the 1hr mark.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

brunosbud responded:
Maybe this might help...

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
Just like people, no two carbs are alike...

There's insufficient data and information given in the majority of the posts on this board simply because people don't think the details matter...

They're wrong; they matter...a lot!

The less time you worry about how others react and the more you "study" how your body reacts to the foods you eat, you will be less and less confused over the readings you get.

Read and understand the article I linked you. Take lots of readings. Study and learn how your body reacts, especially, the difference between fatty, processed foods, meat dishes, and simple meals made up of whole, natural foods. Start taking notes on how you feel after a meal.

If you do that, the picture becomes much, much clearer.

cc1234 replied to auriga1's response:
I apologize, the 1/2 hrs means 1 hour and 2 hours. My question was I read that eating a low carb diet would produce an "artificially" higher number but the medical article didn't give an example of what artificially higher meant.

cc1234 replied to flutetooter's response:
  • 117/97. I guess the only......sorry I was typing on my phone.
  •  
    cc1234 replied to Debsbears's response:
    My question is, could my low carb diet be producing artificially higher numbers? I read a few articles about how low carb diets change your bg readings, but it didn't give an example of how much it increases it.

cc1234 replied to brunosbud's response:
    Yes, thank you. I've already read that entire site. I truly have looked for an answer but couldn't find one regarding the low carb/higher bg readings. I'm going back to see my IM in a week and a half. Do you suggest I keep testing until then? I know its not dangerous per se to have bg above 100 like mine. What I don't like is feeling "low" in the 80s. The one time I almost passed out (my room mate heard me fall in the tub and gave me a banana) I didn't have a glucometer yet so I don't know the reading. The thing is that I can no longer run outside because I am afraid of getting sick so I'm stuck on the treadmil. (There could be worse things).

Is it possible to feel low in the 80s if mine runs in the 110 normally?

Debsbears replied to cc1234's response:
    cc1234 - if your numbers have been consistently high for a long time and you are bringing them down yes you could feel low at 80. But 80 is not considered low 70 is. Your body needs to adjust to the new lower numbers.

Have you always been a diabetic? Do you know what your A1c is? Like I stated before your numbers at the 2 hr mark are good. As for this artificially high number you are talking about and or asking about I have no clue what that is. Your numbers look good.

I would keep testing in the early morning and 2 hrs after eating until you see the Dr. write it down and take it with you.

Not to panic you but maybe your passing out could be related to something else all together considering your numbers. Not all our medical problems are a result of diabetes. I have more things wrong with me - and my diabetes is in remission.
    I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
    Come follow my life's journey at:
    www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

cc1234 replied to Debsbears's response:
    Oh, I was not clear I see. I'm not diabetic, my doctor said I had mild insulin resistance in fall2011. I couldn't find a "insulin resistance" discussion page on web md so I posted here. Sorry!

brunosbud replied to cc1234's response:
    Possible? "Maybe"...

Again, I don't have nearly enough information about you to make a calculated guess. If I felt dizzy and faint while walking, the first thing I'd reach for is my blood pressure monitor. I'd be absolutely floored if I found I went hypoglycemic. My last A1C was 5.4 and I've averaged 13,000 steps (6 miles), everyday, for the last 4 years. So, for me, granted it's "possible", it would be very unlikely to feel what you experienced due to low blood glucose. This is why Jenny Ruhl wrote "Blood Sugar 101". So, you'll understand that it's really self defeating to delay in learning all you can about diabetes and how it effects you...Just, you.

flutetooter responded:
    to "cc" - Scroll down a few posts and read mine called "Exercise and Blood Sugar" to find out how I handle your situation. I am also in the insulin resistant-prediabetic state and control it with no meds by being very careful of what I eat.

We are actually in the same category of diabetics in so far that our bodies do not handle sugars normally. If your body depletes a high sugar level (such as carbo-loading before a run) you will probably feel the rapid drop more than people whose sugar levels stay the same (either higher or lower). I carry glucose tabs in my pockets even when I am on a walk. They are available in Walgreens, Walmart, etc. and come in a bottle as well as a small tube that you can carry in your purse.

When I return from exercise, I eat a fast acting protein such a whey powder in small shake to start my body being able to rebuild the muscles used. You are wise to begin handling this now, rather than waiting until you become a full-blown diabetic. The disease is progressive unless steps are taken to control it. I have been in this stage for 4 years without being on meds so far. However, every time I eat a normal meal, my blood sugar will go up to 185-225, so I eat only smaller low-carb meals more often. Losing that weight for you was great!
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
    If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
    Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.